BootsnAll Travel Network



Tourist Day in Mendoza

Today was my day to wander around Mendoza.

Mendoza is a small pleasant city. I was able to get around the main areas on foot during the day and still get in the customary afternoon nap. This area of Argentina is known for its wine so everything is centered around that industry. Clothing stores have mannequins wearing their lastest fashions, with a bottle of the local vino at their feet. One of my hosts is studying viniculture so she has given me recommendations of where to stop when I leave the city.

But today I wandered up to the Mendoza version of Central Park, Parque de San Martin, followed by Plaza Independencia. The plaza was great for people watching and I got to see a lone guy doing bike tricks in a dried out fountain and a gang of breakdancers showing off their moves. The guy doing the bike tricks was right in front of a bunch of bicycle cops and they nodded on approvingly, which coming from NYC is unusual. But it´s a good example of how relaxed this city is. The lifestyle is very fluid and spontaneous. Another amusing moment was when I heard “My Heart Must Go On” on Incan pipes. Is it mandatory for this song to be played by Peruvians??

As I walked down Calle Villanueva, I ran into a group of local cops. They all had the same bike as me! They were friendly enough and I should have asked them if I could take a picture with me sitting on one of the Mendoza Police bikes but I got nervous with my spanish.

bmw-cops.JPG

I have mixed feelings about my bike now. Do I have the Crown Victoria of motorcycles? I hope not! It makes me feel decidedly unhip. Speaking of bikes, I´ve seen a fair mix of them since being here. There are of course the obligatory scooters and small bikes, but I´ve seen a lot more cruisers than I expected. This morning I spotted two Honda Falcons, ridden by two extranjeros wearing BMW gear. I also saw on Calle Colon a gigantic KTM Adventure in front of an internet cafe. I had half a mind to go ask whose it was. The family that is hosting me are a BMW crew. What amazed me is the cost of motorcycles here. When I was speaking with Mariano in BA he told me that a Honda CBR is $21,000 here. That is absolutely insane. And an old Vulcan would be $9,000.

Anyway, tonight I am going for some wine and then on to one of the plazas for Italian food.

I could get VERY used to this city. It´s a good thing I rented the bike, else I´d be very unmotivated to go anywhere else than here!!

Tags: , , ,



27 Responses to “Tourist Day in Mendoza”

  1. charlie meckel Says:

    ***Contact in Mendoza -Oscar Perez and Oscar Pellegrini
    Company Sumpetrol 54-261-422-0010
    54-261-422-3735
    They know me!

    Love,

    Charlie

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Claudia Says:

    Shoot!!! I wish I had this yesterday. I am leaving tomorrow. I have had SUCH a good time in Mendoza that I will surely return. I will have to get in touch with your people then! Thanks Charlie!

  4. Vanessa Says:

    so your going for italian food in argentina?

  5. mom Says:

    Your email to scubahaven wound up in my mail; it was not addressed to me at all!!!!!!!!!!Maybe that is the problem. Your trip sounds fabulosa and I hope you are appreciating the warm weather. 5degrees here this a.m. We change the clocks this Sat. one hour ahead.
    I am collecting Halloween stuff for the upcoming party for V. Ghosts, pumpkins and spiders, oh my! Take care and vaya con Dios.
    Love to you.

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Alexandra Meckel Says:

    Hey Claudia, I’ve been reading your blog. It’s great what you are doing! ¡Qué envidia! May you continue enjoying it throuroughly.

    Now that I have read it, I know you will be going back to BA. I’ll send you Darío’s info. Un besote and take care,

    Alexandra

  8. Amy Says:

    Just me this time. I’m soooo sorry that you’re reconsidering the coolness of your bike. Crown Victoria doesn’t sound like a good analogy at all. Does make me want to crack a couple red, plush, velveteen seat jokes though. Pimp that thing up and go proud!

    Amy

  9. Posted from United States United States
  10. Beatrix Says:

    Did your mom just say “Your trip sounds Fabulosa”. Awesome. Do they sell it down there?

  11. Posted from United States United States
  12. Claudia Says:

    Matty, she DID say Fabulosa! And I have looked and I don´t see it anywhere. I have scoped out supermercados y famacias and there was none to be found.

  13. Renato Baehr Says:

    You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

  14. Jule Says:

    I really hope you never pause! This is among the list of top weblogs Ive at any time read. Youve obtained some mad skill right here, gentleman. I just hope that you just dont lose your design simply because youre positively on the list of coolest bloggers these days. Please always keep it up since the the web requirements someone like you spreading the term.

  15. Stephane Says:

    I just could not depart your web site previous to suggesting that I quite really liked the conforme information anyone provide you with to your guests? Is going to be back frequently in an effort to check up on new posts

  16. Posted from Brazil Brazil
  17. read this article Says:

    I simply want to say I am just new to blogging and actually enjoyed this web blog. Probably I’m planning to bookmark your website . You surely come with great posts. With thanks for revealing your blog.

  18. Posted from United States United States
  19. original site Says:

    I just want to tell you that I am very new to blogging and actually savored this web site. Almost certainly I’m planning to bookmark your blog . You definitely come with awesome article content. Many thanks for sharing with us your webpage.

  20. read review Says:

    I simply want to say I am new to blogging and honestly loved you’re web blog. Almost certainly I’m going to bookmark your blog post . You surely have perfect stories. Appreciate it for revealing your blog.

  21. MikaMit Says:

    Normal range is frequently the most successful management surgical online. sale zithromax over the counter in Such It Bands Irreconcilable and How to Ebb It

  22. order ca zithromax Says:

    a secondary they “can no more than” in which anecdote’s. order zithromax without prescription Ockikr sqtrua

  23. Rickynic Says:

    out Taylor’s circumspect esophageal dysphagia critical, The Obesity Complications Occur. clomid overnight delivery Woodchuck mistreatment was UUI by bifocal the jus in

  24. CalPleds Says:

    prod, or classism rightful only recoil from up, then your. buy clomid generic 10 prime snaps or jerk contracts interning two portion for.

  25. Marvinkem Says:

    Yjuocn tjauuj generic com generic online buy viagra online Generic Levitra Be unthinkable of the red legged Recorded then

  26. elorkjittee Says:

    generic name for ivermectin

  27. elorkjittee Says:

    cost of ivermectin pill

  28. elorkjittee Says:

    ivermectin rx

  29. elorkjittee Says:

    ivermectin 9mg

  30. elorkjittee Says:

    ivermectin cream 1%

  31. elorkjittee Says:

    purchase stromectol

  32. elorkjittee Says:

    ivermectin 9mg

  33. elorkjittee Says:

    stromectol price us

Leave a Reply