BootsnAll Travel Network



Warsaw

Ancestral Poland.gif

In re-built Warsaw we view public art memorializing the Warsaw Uprising…Nazis destroyed the city while Russia watched on the other side of the Vistula River…then moved in and occupied the city for the next 50 years…the “liberators” became the occupiers… There are reminders of horrendous Polish history everywhere. There is no work and most young people want out of the country according to the young man who set us up in our apartment and who had spent two years studying Spanish and English in Britain…says most people have never been out of Poland… they have plans to work in international business in Spain. Poor Poland.

During the Warsaw Uprising in August 1944, more than 85% of Warsaw’s historic centre was destroyed by Nazi troops. After the war, a five-year reconstruction campaign by its citizens resulted in today’s meticulous restoration of the Old Town, with its churches, palaces and market-place. It is an outstanding example of a near-total reconstruction of a span of history covering the 13th to the 20th century. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.



Tags: , , ,

One response to “Warsaw”

  1. Oskar says:

    It’s important to remeber that currently Warsaw is completly rebuilt… you may think that it’s silly, but I saw people who consider Warsaw as heavy bombed, ruined post-communistic city. I saw such review on TripAdvisor… author of this one was really suprised. And all of you would be if you came to Warsaw! This city is truly magnificent now! I know what I’m talking about, I’m living here.
    Greetings from Warsaw

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *