BootsnAll Travel Network



Viva Mexico; Viva America

It is Sunday and quiet as usual except for a rally in Llano Park about a block away.  The sound of the speeches bounces off the walls of my courtyard but thankfully it has stopped.

It is dusk now and the park across the street from my apartment is nearly empty except for about a dozen well dressed people gathered for something…maybe a wedding celebration. From my veranda I listen to a band playing. A singer dressed in white and big red Mexican hat sings Viva Mexico; Viva America.  A young girl sits by herself nearby.  An old man further back.  An old lady comes and puts her bags down and listens too. The band plays some more.  A lone couple dances by themselves off by the side. Another couple dances on the sidewalk. The old woman leaves.  A young boy comes and joins the young girl.  Maybe she has been waiting for him. Venus and Jupiter are still conjunct in the clear cool sky overhead.

This is Mexico!



Tags: ,

2 responses to “Viva Mexico; Viva America”

  1. Eunice (Zoe) says:

    I think the song “Viva Mexico, Viva America” was sung because one of the spouses was Mexican and one American.

  2. MF says:

    Ahhhhhh … that post is poetry.

    But I wonder … “Viva America”? Is that because of the T-shirt I got you? I thought Francisco had convinced you to become a Chivas fan instead.

    Speaking of which, coming this week, Thursday and Sunday, is the Super Bowl for Mexican soccer: Toluca vs. Cruz Azul. Might be fun to find a bar showing the games live.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *