BootsnAll Travel Network



Vicente Fox On Bush

Past President of Mexico, Vicente Fox, has written a new book called “Revolution Of Hope. In it Fox found the legal fight over the 2000 U.S. election “ironic.”

“At our request the United States had sent election monitors to protect the balloting process in Mexico,” Fox says. “But where they might have been more useful that year was in Florida.”

Which is an ironic statement in itself, of course, because the next election that gave Mexico Felipe Calderon is considered by many to have also been fraudulent.

The following has been taken by an article by The Washington Post this morning:

Mexico’s Fox, in Book, Chides and Praises Bush

By Manuel Roig-Franzia
Washington Post Foreign Service
Wednesday, September 19, 2007; Page A19

ANTIGUA, Guatemala, Sept. 18 — President Bush and Vicente Fox once portrayed themselves as diplomatic allies and close friends, but the former Mexican president takes some jabs at Bush in a new autobiography, calling him “the cockiest guy I have ever met in my life” and a “windshield cowboy” afraid to ride a powerful horse.

Fox sprinkles anecdotes about Bush and other world leaders throughout “Revolution of Hope,” recounting disagreements with Bush over the Iraq invasion and a shared hope for immigration reform that was undercut by security concerns after Sept. 11, 2001. The former Mexican leader also chides Bush’s administration for unilateralism.
……
Fox left office in December, six years after his election ended seven decades of one-party rule in Mexico. His book, written with Texas political consultant Rob Allyn and scheduled for release by Viking on Oct. 8, is likely to rattle Mexican traditionalists accustomed to former leaders quietly fading away.

“We’re going to get this done,” Fox recalls Bush telling him [about the immigration reform package before Congress]. Three days later, planes smashed into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, and “our revolution of hope came face to face with the walls of fear,” Fox writes.
…….

Fox, who writes that one of his aunts is a cloistered nun in Cincinnati and that his son, Rodrigo, attends the University of California at Santa Barbara, says that years before entering politics he passed up an executive job with Coca-Cola in the United States. (He had been a supervisor of Coca-Cola’s operations in Mexico.) “I didn’t want the Statue of Liberty, the streets paved with gold,” he says.
……..



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *