BootsnAll Travel Network



Today Zocalo & Santo Domingo

This morning I took the car to the Toyota Service Agency to have the oil changed in the car…after all, I did drive it from Oregon to Oaxaca in southern Mexico…a darn long ways.

This afternoon I joined my landlord Geraldo and his mother Socorro in the Zocalo. The streets leading into the Zocalo are still blocked by police but after determining you are ok, they move aside and let you through. The place is bare save hundreds of riot-control police sitting and lying around…much like the teachers and protesters before. Sitting at a cafe having a beer, Socorro clapped and cheered, along with some others who were also sitting at the cafe…yelling Bravo at every movement of the police. They look quite young…Socorro told one he was a “baby.” He just laughed. Some of the young hip affluent Oaxacan women are eyeing the guys…once in awhile we see couples, a PFP and a local girl, walking about. I just took pictures. They asked me if I was ever frightened while I have been living here…no of course not I answered. Then they asked if the presence of the police bothered me. Of course not, I said. What I didn’t say was that I would be much happier if they weren’t here…they don’t exactly add to the esthetics of the place.

Leaving the Zocalo about 5:00pm, I walked up the hill to Santo Domingo Church where the protesters are now ensconsed. The mood here was somber…a couple musical groups playing soft music. A “garden” of ceramic human sized figures are placed right in front of the church. The hundreds of votive lights glowing in the dark will be beautiful tonight but I am too drained and tired to wait around to see it. Only about half of the teachers have returned to classes.



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *