BootsnAll Travel Network



The Rest of the Story

Description of an altercation between a communist group (FPR) and the anarchists after the march commemorating the November 25th 2006 repression by police. When I saw that these groups, among many others, were lining up behind the teachers during the strike of 2006, I knew there was going to be trouble because they all have their own agendas.

from an expat on the Oaxaca Study Action Group Internet Forum:

“I get the sense that no one is happy with what happened at the march. The good things were the turnout and return of Dra. Bertha.  The bad were the disagreements regarding tactics that led to physical encounters and the FPR vs anarchists nonsense in the zocalo.  I firmly believe that based on my experiences here, the vast majority of the libertarian punks are not paid government agents.  I think it’s dangerous to propose that they are, given the seriousness of the charge, because: unless they read NarcoNews or OSAG they’re unaware of the charges being leveled against them, and, how does one disprove the claim that they’re a government agent?  David Venegas, even after spending a year in jail, is still accused of that.  Black blocs, graffiti and property destruction are common features of most mass movements all over the world.  Of course the capitalist press and fascist government are going to raise hackles about it, that’s their job.

This is not, however, to say that there weren’t infiltrators yesterday. Yet, they’re easy to spot based on their dress, the fact that no one knows them, their actions (for example, yesterday they were smoking weed during the march and one of them painted “David is my leader”, which no anarchist would write and plays right into the gov’t’s and press’s line).  As well, the locations targeted – Comex, PRI offices, state gov’t offices, and Chedraui – are all viable targets if one is an anti-capitalist.  Working class people’s homes and business didn’t get messed with.

The scene at [the new] Chedraui Market [during their open house] was particularly disappointing. The teachers’ “protest police” lined up in front of Chedraui, trying to keep it from being damaged. It reminded me of “pacifists” lining up to protect Nike and Starbucks in the US during the WTO protest in Seattle 1999. This led to pushing and shoving between teachers and anarchists, and between anarchist and photographers (who were screaming at the anarkos: “We’re going to find out who you are! We’re going to get you!” One friend was randomly assaulted by a photographer out of nowhere).

As far as I know, the teachers’ leadership and the FPR bilaterally declared there would be no graffiti, masks, or property destruction.  How they feel they have the right to state that and undemocratically determine the tactics of a broad movement, and try to undemocratically enforce them (by guarding Chedraui of all places for crissakes!) is beyond me.  While Chepi may be better than those before, the teachers still don’t seem to me to be doing much, nor do I put much hope in them. They only come out in force when instructed to, probably mainly because they take attendance at these things.  Other teachers not marching with Section 22 got on the sound systems behind Section 22 and denounced them for betraying the movement that arose initially to defend them and for their complacency.

I did not see the fight between the FPR and anarchists in the zocalo.  My understanding as related to me (admittedly by only one side on the issue), was the David was being heckled while he spoke, while others were shouting to let him speak. An FPR man hit an libertarian woman on the head with one of the sticks they have their flags on, then punched her in the face. Then libertarians got hold of an FPR flag and lit it on fire. Then mayhem broke out.  At least one libertarian had to be taken to the hospital after being hit in the head with a flag stick.

All the media and even Radio Planton, blamed it all on David. At least the teachers, though condemning everything that happened, declined to condemn any particular group.  Regardless, as I said, no one is happy with what happened. Well, perhaps the FPR is.  I think it shows that the next APPO congress really needs to happen and really needs to be democratic.  Many of the speakers in the zocalo at least mentioned the former, though groups such as the FPR and some in the teachers leadership are more interested in excluding VOCAL and other libertarian tendencies in the APPO congress than creating a real movement.”

My three cents from my frustrated, biased perspective,

and “Here’s VOCAL’s communique regarding yesterday. In brief, it states that the disunity has been caused by the FPR – primarily for running Zenen Bravo for congress and their meddling in Section 22.  It states they had nothing to do with the property destruction but they understand it. It states that FPR started the fight after David was not permitted to speak and a libertarian woman told an FPR man to be quiet and be respectful. And that Section 22 has the responsibility and duty to convene a democratic assembly to plan for the second APPO congress.”



Tags: , , ,

One response to “The Rest of the Story”

  1. MF says:

    Anarchists need to be start following the rules, for chrissakes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *