BootsnAll Travel Network



The Art Of Obfuscation

I wondered what my Iranian friends were thinking as I sat squirming in my chair during the indelicate introduction to President Ahmadinejad’s remarks at Columbia University yesterday.

And I squirmed some more trying to follow Ahmadinejad’s obfuscated logic.

And I squirm some more wondering how all this is playing out on the streets of the middle east. If he is trying to “lead the charge” against the U.S. how will this event affect how the Arabic world sees him? And us?

I did laugh, though, when he said Iran didn’t have any gays. But perhaps this isn’t so funny if Iran is hanging them.

And yes, what does the holocaust directly have to do with Palestine? But then my history is fuzzy.

I would have liked to ask him why so many journalists were in jail. And what his ideas are about how to stabilize Iraq.

And I wonder how the women of Iran reacted if they heard his remarks about them.

In the midst of his outrageous denials no one seemed to hear his message to us about our troubling foreign policy. Today he will be at the UN.

The Washington Post this morning has a couple articles with details about the Columbia and National Press Club appearances here.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *