BootsnAll Travel Network



So Goes Life In Oaxaca

I went to Santo Domingo yesterday to check out the activity there. The teachers and their supporters have moved their encampment up the hill to the streets in front of Santo Domingo Church where marches now end and speeches are given. Vendors from the Zocalo now line Alcala St. running down from the church and TVs sitting precariously on boxes run non-stop videos. Traditional and contemporary Mexican music blares loudly nearby. Vendors provide a variety of food…tacos and memelitos…unique to Oaxaca. There are information tables and a few banners fly…walkers having to duck under nylon supporting lines. What activists say that “the people” want is a deepening of democracy — fair elections, a free press, responsive government, public safety and jobs. I suspect there is lot more going on than that.

As an expat living here for six months, I have yet to explore the abundant beauty of this primarily indigenous State…cooking classes, art museums, music…and Spanish language classes!

And so goes life in Oaxaca.



Tags: , ,

One response to “So Goes Life In Oaxaca”

  1. ken says:

    I AGREE , COMPLETLY THESE WONDERFUL PEOPLE OF OAXACA, AND CHIAPAS ALL THEY WANT IS DIGNIFIED LIFE, NOT WAR, JUST PEACE AND RECOGNITION. IT IS SAD THAT JAN. 1 1994 THE MEXICAN GOVERNMENT CALLED FOR A U.S. BACKED CAMPAIGN OF VIOLENCE TO SLAUGHTER TONS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE THAT ARE JUST LOOKING FOR DIGNIFIED LIFE, AND HOPE. ZAPATA WILL RETURN ONE DAY AS THE ZAPATISTAS SAY. I FEEL THAT PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND I CAN MAKE A DIFFERANCE SOME WAY SOMEHOW. I HOPE TO HERE BACK SOON, AS I AM PLANNING ATRIP TO THE SIERRA MADRE /OAXACA AND CHIAPAS.

    PEACE FOR NOW KEN 636-288-2192

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *