BootsnAll Travel Network



Poli Poli In Tanzania

PZmR20gwby0cg19rXgklIw-2006197125025738.gif

Tanzania
Walking around Poli Poli means “slowly, slowly” in Swahili. That is how we are learning to do everything like the others here in this hot humid equatorial country. We stop to buy a sugar cane juice drink with lime and ginger from a young fellow running long stalks of sugar cane through his little press on his little table. I don’t want ice, I say…Many of the cultural centers and their activities were closed because it was the off-season. If they don’t know the answer they will just say anything to save face…not a good thing if you are asking for directions…

You hear American Rap playing all over Africa. There is a definite feeling of solidarity with African-American youth…our own guys have let the cat out of the bag…a lot of the younger women wear plaited hair. A lot of adolescents have little tiny dreadlocks-girls and boys.

No one wants their photos taken here unless they are paid. Bob asked to take a picture of an artist who was working on some of the famous Ting Ting paintings in a local cooperative compound. Artist said “sure!” Then he said that it would cost $2.



Tags: , , ,

Comments are closed.