BootsnAll Travel Network



Night Train To Marrakech

pjSwKsKjPzr5gOYYAx9PKM-2006172104421567.gif

The night train to Marrakech really gave us an opportunity to stretch our cultural boundaries! You have a 9 foot by 9 foot compartment with three “beds” or platforms on each side with about 18 inches in-between the two. You do not have enough room to sit up on your “bed.” In fact you almost do not have enough room to crawl into it-especially if you are in the middle or top bunks-which we were. We narrowly missed an opportunity to be in the same compartment as a crying child but Bob issued a request to the conductor and mercifully it was granted. It is 90-100 degrees F. in your compartment. A window out in the hall is open but someone slams shut the door of your compartment. Maybe the other window inside the compartment will open and maybe it won’t. If you manage to get it open one of your compartment mates will feel the draft and immediately close it. Then after awhile, in sheer desperation to be able to breath, you open it again only to have it slammed shut again.

We tumble gratefully out of the train in the morning to a warm sun and fresh morning air and the din of traffic and people everywhere. Bob and I have noticed all over Europe that people seem to make a big effort to avoid open windows and apparently “the draft.” Babies are wrapped unmercifully even on hot days!



Tags: , , ,

Comments are closed.