BootsnAll Travel Network



Long Bus Tour

Took a tour of Colonial Reforma today…in the northern part of the city. Went to immigration to get my year-long visa and on the way the bus driver got into a stand-off with a car whose driver was yelling something at him at a stop-light. The bus driver gave him what-to…never heard so many madres and pendejos (assholes) in one sentence before…and he kept it up. The light turned green and the bus won…cut the guy clean off and forced him onto another road. I think I was the only passenger interested…the others have seen this before no doubt.

But on a bus going the wrong way back to the Centro…took a tour through the entire Colonial Reforma…gears grinding…brakes screeching…music blaring…and over those damn topes (speed bumps) every 50 feet, up and down the hills. The driver yells at me…where you from…in English. I know better than to say the US…that’s obvious. Oregon I said. Oh, I was there four months he laughed…strawberries I asked…yes he said…he was in Phoenix four years and Fresno for six years. You like Oaxaca? Yes, I love it! I noticed he didn’t ask me if I liked “Mexico” He asked me if I liked Oaxaca. I think he likes it too!

Have run into several young guys at the market who have picked strawberries in Oregon…their English quite good. Willamette Valley strawberries are the best in the world by the way…thanks to cheap labor by migrants from south of the border.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *