BootsnAll Travel Network



Kuta Cowboys

DSC00025.JPGOn the beaches and streets of Kuta Bob noticed a large number of lone foreign women (as in white Western). Upon checking Lonely Planet we find that many visiting women are looking for charming young supercool guys with long hair, lean bodies, tight jeans and lots of tatoos commonly called Kuta Cowboys, beach boys, bad boys, guides or gigolos. They are good on the dance floor and play a mean guitar. While they don’t usually work a straight sex-for-money deal, according to Lonely Planet, the visiting woman pays for the meals, drinks and accommodation and commonly buys the guy presents. “It’s not uncommon for them to form long-term relationships, according to LP, “with the guy hopeful of finding a new and better life with his partner in Europe, Japan, Australia or the USA.

One female reader wrote to LP that the main young male occupation in Lovina is finding and living off foreign girlfriends. LP cautions that while most of the guys around Bali are genuinely friendly, some are predatory con-artists who practice elaborate deceits, or downright theft, to get a woman’s money. Many are now from outside Bali, LP says, and have a long succession of foreign lovers and women should be sceptical about what they say, particularly if it comes down to them needing money….and to always use condoms.

Before leaving the Kuta area we saw ground 0 of the night club that was bombed by terrorists 3 years ago. A white canvas cloth on which is written some touching poetry by New Zealanders is hanging on the fence around the empty grassy lot. Directly across the street is quite a large memorial…with all the names of the almost 300 deceased carved into a huge slab of marble…giving me goosebumps.

100_3431.JPG
After the first week in a Balinese style villa on the southwest coast of Bali…a couple miles north of… but not out of reach of Kuta, the surfing area frequented by dread-locked backpackers and pesky beach vendors, we moved to the quieter side of the island. We decided to forego the “bemo,” the local transport system…small open-doored vans that connect one village to another…and instead drove our rented jeep to Sanur on the southeast coast. Our villa of four units, owned by an American architect from Portland Oregon, was managed by a Dutch-Indonesian couple…some of the many people from the Netherlands on the island…a reminder of the Dutch colonization until post WW II.



Tags: ,

Comments are closed.