BootsnAll Travel Network



Krakow Poland

EHcDvLBEX5UlHHY96lAFi0-2006185062720933.gif

We are out of the unusually hot and humid Czech Republic. After an all night train we are in cool Krakow Poland. We accept an offer by a young English speaking man at the train depot and end up in a hostel…six flight up…”old building…no lift!”

The historic centre of Cracow, the former capital of Poland, is situated at the foot of the Royal Wawel Castle. The 13th-century merchants’ town has Europe’s largest market square and numerous historical houses, palaces and churches with their magnificent interiors. Further evidence of the town’s fascinating history is provided by the remnants of the 14th-century fortifications and the medieval site of Kazimierz with its ancient synagogues in the southern part of town, Jagellonian University and the Gothic cathedral where the kings of Poland were buried. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The first night out we look for Polish food and find ourselves in a Hungarian restaurant instead!

The next night we move to a nice little Jewish neighborhood-Kamimierz-with little cafes and jazz music up and down the street…and Internet hot spots to boot! There are fewer than 150 Jews in Krakow now. Most of the hotels in this neighborhood are full of young people from Israel visiting Auschwitz and Bzerzenka…surrounded by big burly bodyguards…

By the way In Poland, if you’re invited to dinner at someone’s house and you’ve had enough to eat, DO NOT clear your plate! This means that you want more, and your hosts will really get their feelings hurt if you refuse another helping. Same for drinking–always leave a little bit in the glass.



Tags: , , , , , ,

6 responses to “Krakow Poland”

  1. Eunice (Zoe) says:

    I am no longer in Krakow. Sorry.

  2. Wanting hotel or appartment in Krakow,just us two aged persons.First time to Poland.Thankyou..

  3. Eunice (Zoe) says:

    Let me know! 🙂

  4. Oskar says:

    You’re probably right this tradition may belong to the past. Elder people still surprise me with some past customs, but it’s always extremaly interesting. Our live have changed during decades, but sometimes it’s worth to meet our roots. I really have to check those info about cleaning plates etc. ’cause I’ve never heard about it.

  5. Eunice (Zoe) says:

    Well, it was awhile ago when I wrote that and I don’t remember exactly. I think it might have come from my mother who would have gotten it from her parents who were from Poland…a loooong time ago! 🙂

  6. Oskar says:

    I’m a little bit confused about the last few sentences… I’m a Pole and during over 20 years of my live I didn’t noticed that cleaning your plate or leaving your glass empty meens that you want more… From where did you get those information?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *