BootsnAll Travel Network



Hop On Hop Off Bus

A good way to get a good overview of New York and to get a good look at the architecture is to sit in the upper level of one of these buses and if you are lucky you will be able to understand the tour guide. Each guide has a definite personality…one having to duck down to the bottom level when we went over the Brooklyn Bridge because she was afraid of heights. Often the attitude is one that believes wholeheartedly that New York is the center of the world…one such comment made Bob and I wince as we glanced back at the European, Asian and Australian tourists on board.

One route we took included Brooklyn and a local retired teacher was the guide. His brassy Brooklyn attitude was funny until a question got an answer that made fun of the question. For example, one European asked if the lake in Prospect Park was man-made. Of course it is, New York is bedrock (you stupid person!). We got on the bus in Brooklyn, which amazed the guide. He asked question after question…over the loudspeaker…the sense we got was that he was looking for a way to make us the straight man and to give him something funny to say at our expense.



Tags: , ,

Comments are closed.