BootsnAll Travel Network



Heading Off Another Year Of Unrest?

This morning’s news…for the benefit of the English-speaking reader…
El Universal
Lunes 28 de mayo de 2007

High ranking judge calls for inquiry

Federal, state and municipal authorities committed grave violations against fundamental civil rights during the Oaxaca conflict that began in May 2006, Supreme Court Justice minister Juan Silva Meza said Sunday.

Silva Meza recommended that the Court create a committe to investigate the public officials responsible for the violations.

Among the high-ranking public officials who could be investigated are former President Vicente Fox, Oaxaca Gov. Ulises Ruiz and Attorney General Eduardo Medina Mora, who served as Secretary of Public Safety in 2006.

The Oaxaca conflict began as a teacher´s strike, and turned into five months of unrest after federal troops arrived in the city. A coalition of leftist groups occupied the downtown plaza and demanded the ouster of Gov. Ruiz, leading to clashes between state and federal authorities and activists that left several dead, including a U.S. journalist.

According to an internal document obtained by EL UNIVERSAL, the investigation committee will be headed by two federal magistrates.

The committee will be responsible for answering questions such as: Why did the violations occur? Who ordered them?

According to the document, there are some main objectives that the committee will try to achieve. The investigation will attempt to “let the Mexican society and international community, and above all, the residents of Oaxaca, know why these acts, which constitute a grave violation of fundamental rights occurred.”

This objective will “help ease the level of incertainty in the lives of the community that was prompted by these grave violations. It will also show residents that the government cares about defending rights and respecting what is needed for a society to live in harmony.”

The National Human Rights Commission last Thursday submitted a report on the Oaxaca conflict after they documented about 1,600 rights violations and 12 deaths.

The president of the National Human Rights Commission, José Luis Soberanes said that President Felipe Calderón “didn´t have to take the heat for the deaths of Vicente Fox,” but that his government should listen to the group´s recommendations.

The Supreme Court is also currently investigating the participation of Puebla Gov. Mario Marín in alleged rights violations against journalist Lydia Cacho. Silva Meza is heading that committee.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *