BootsnAll Travel Network



“El Grito” Cry For Independence

In two days, Mexico will celebrate Independence Day on September 17. It is traditional for the governor to enter the Governor’s Palace, now a museum since the teacher strike of last year, and utter the “cry for Independence” at midnight. This is done in Mexico City and all over Mexico.

An expat reports “I have not gone today (Saturday) to personally look at the scene, but the usual is to place heavy barriers of metal, cement or razor wire in the roadways of all streets that enter the zocalo. The sidewalks permit entry of single persons who in the past have had their bags searched. The police stand at the barricades in riot gear.

A description of the “safety”, brought to us by a website in support of the government, ADA Sureste describes the event. It is a safety measure to have ready water tanks (high pressure hoses) and teargas, all the police units available as well as firefighters, and to patrol the streets and towns around the area. Inside the museum palace there will be units of police, with a total of ten strategically placed.

This is to continue through the independence day celebrations on the 17th. Since the grito ! will be given at midnight (or 1:00 AM on daylight savings, I don’t know which hour will be used) it will be dark, adding to the need for ‘safety.'”

This article also confirms that a separate “popular grito” will be given at Santo Domingo Church…the people refusing to participate in the official event. A friend in Oaxaca says “I would suggest that any foreigner who chooses to attend either the governor’s ceremony or the popular event do so with circumspect behavior, whatever that means.”



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *