BootsnAll Travel Network



Discovering African Issues

One evening we had coffee in the Hilton coffee shop and just hung around watching the people come and go. There was an international UN conference on urban planning so there were people from all over Africa and the parade of women’s evening wear was wonderful to see. One striking woman who said she was from Rwanda had gone to school in Canada. She said the conference was dealing with many issues but primarily with the rights of the poor in shanty towns whose homes get bulldozed down in the middle of the night by the government or the police.

In fact, the local English newspaper, the East African Standard, recently featured an article about 200 armed policemen who destroyed shanties at the Kamuigi slums in Nairobi without warning at 6am. The article said the tenants accused police of being used by officials of the Kamuigi House Company Ltd to evict them. There was a dispute in court between officials and shareholders of the company but the police did not wait for the court to rule or the government to intervene. The land in dispute, the article said, was bought by 168 members at a cost of 125,000 shillings (100 shillings are worth more than a dollar) from an Asian who had since relocated.



Tags: , ,

Comments are closed.