BootsnAll Travel Network



Diamond Jubilee Of His Majesty

His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand will celebrate his Diamond Jubilee in Bangkok in June 2006.

The King of Thailand is one of the most highly respected spiritual leaders in the world in the last half century. In December 2000, in the Thai Airways Kinnaree Magazine, writer Khun Amporn Samasor recounted the king’s words to the U.S. Congress while on a seven month visit to 31 foreign nations.

“On June 29 1960, His Majesty addressed the Congress of the United States, saying, in part: Firstly, I have long desired to see and learn more of your country. When I hear of intolerance and oppression in so many parts of the world, I want to know how, in this country, millions of people differing in race, traditions and beliefs, can live together freely and harmoniously. How these millions, scattered over a large territory, can agree upon major issues in the complicated affairs of this world. How, in short, they can tolerate each other at all.

Secondly, I wish to bring to you, in person, the greetings and goodwill of my own people. Although Americans and Thais live on opposite sides of the globe there is one thing in common – their love of freedom. Indeed, the word �Thai� actually means free. The kind reception l am enjoying in this country enables me to take back to my people your friendship and goodwill. Friendship, of one government for another, is an important thing. But, friendship of one people for another assuredly guarantees peace and progress.

Thirdly, I have the natural, human desire to see my birthplace. I expect some of you here were also born in Boston or, like my father, were educated at Harvard, hasten to congratulate such fortunate people. I am sure they are with me in spirit. We share a sentiment of deep pride in the academic and cultural achievements of that wonderful city.�

His Majesty then touched on American aid for Thailand, saying: American assistance is to enable Thai people to achieve their objectives through their own efforts. I need hardly say that this concept has our complete endorsement. Indeed, there is a precept of the Lord Buddha that says �Thou art thine own refuge.� We are grateful for American aid, but we intend, one day, to do without it.

This leads me to a question in which some of you may be interested which is: What do we Thais think of United States cooperation? I shall try to explain my view as briefly as I can. “In my country, there is one widely accepted concept: that of family obligations.The members of a family, in the larger sense, are expected to help one another whenever there is need for assistance. Giving of aid is merit in itself: the giver does not expect to hear others singing his praises every day; nor does he expect anything in return. The receiver is nevertheless grateful. He too, in his turn, will carry out his obligations.”

In giving generous assistance to foreign countries, the United States is, through my Thai eyes, applying the old concept of family obligations on the larger scale. The nations of the world are learning that they are but members of one big family; that they have obligations to one another; that they are closely interdependent. It may take a long time to learn this lesson but, when it has been truly learnt, the prospects of world peace will become brighter.

His Majesty went on to remind U.S. Congressmen of the smooth relationships enjoyed by both Thais and Americans from the early years of the United States of America�s nationhood.

“Some of you may recall that my great-grandfather, King Mongkut, was in communication with President Buchanan during the years from 1859 to 1861 – 100 years ago. �President Buchanan sent him a letter dated May 10, 1859, with a consignment of books in 192 volumes. The king was very pleased with the books and, in a letter dated February 14, 1861, sent certain presents in return as gifts to the American people and an offer that became historic.

Our two countries have had the best of relationships. They started with the coming of your missionaries who shared with our people the benefits of modern medicine and the knowledge of modern science. This soon led to official relations and to a treaty between the two nations. That treaty dates back to 1833.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej and Queen Sirikit were also in New York City where they were given a traditional parade and ticker-tape welcome. On July 5, 1960 His Majesty made a private visit to the apartment of Benny Goodman and got into a jazz session with Goodman, Gene Krupa, Teddy Wilson, Urbie Green, Jonah Jones and Red Norvo. These jazz legends called His Majesty a cool cat and said that he could join their bands if ever he needed a job!

Their Majesties went on to visit the King�s birthplace at Mount Auburn Hospital, and met Dr. Stewart Whittemore who delivered him into the world. His Majesty was presented with a gold-worked, leather- bound book, which contained a certified copy of his birth certificate signed by Dr. Whittemore. The King also met the four nurses who cared for him at birth.

They arrived back home on January 18, 1961 to a tumultuous welcome from the Thai people. Their return remains a momentous event in the life of the nation.”

Forty years ago King Bhumibol Adulyadej gave the United States much to live up to. Would he be able to give the same speech to Congress today?



Tags: , ,

Comments are closed.