BootsnAll Travel Network



Burning Of Bangkok

Just about eight minutes after the Red Shirt leaders gave their last speech on the main rally stage to jeers and tears, just before they gave themselves up to police who were closing in, flames and black smoke from burning tires has nearly covered 20 sites of the city for the last three days.  In the clash, protestors used everything from rocket propelled hand grenades, petrol bombs,  and molotov cocktails to slingshots and rocks and the military used hi-powered rifles, tear gas and tanks, although the BBC took video of the Reds using rifles too.  On wednesday, several people were killed…including both Red Shirts and at least one soldier. Anger at what was perceived as a biased media resulted in reporters being targeted and an Italian photographer dead. Hundreds were wounded including 3 other reporters.

Central World, the second largest shopping mall in Asia was burned out, the old Siam Theater, a cultural icon, was burned among about 3 dozen buildings, people being harbored in a wat were attacked, a TV station was attacked with staff having to be airlifted out by helicoptors, soldiers wounded, almost the entire country came under Emergency Rule and the government is enforcing a 9pm to 5am curfew…much to the consternation of young backpackers.  The MRT subway and BTS skytrain has stopped until further notice. The battle has spread to the provinces with at least two provincial halls being burned. So much for  peaceful Thai farmers.  The following Washington Post story with links to photos depict the disaster.

Thai military breaks up red-shirt protests in Bangkok

 

Story: Thai soldiers assault ‘red shirt’ encampment in Bangkok

The military launched an offensive to evict anti-government protesters from central Bangkok, a move that left parts of the city near anarchy.

 

Unrest in Thailand

Thailand has a long history of political unrest and protests. View a graphic showing the relationship between pro- and anti-government demonstrators over the last four years.

Graphic

 

Protest in Bangkok

View a graphic that chronicles the protest in Bangkok, Thailand.



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *