BootsnAll Travel Network



Bouley Restaurant Tasting Menu

There are 13,000 restaurants in New York City and urbanites, with cramped apartments and schedules, often eat out…whether take-out, order in, pizza slices or, on special occasions, in one of the more elite culinary establishments. Eating out at one of the four or five star restaurants in New York City is a serious situation, an evening in itself, a form of entertainment….and it is expensive.

I won’t even tell you what the bill was the night Josh, Amy, Bob and I went to a restaurant called “Bouley” in TriBeCa (which stands for TRIangle BELow CAnal St) an area of huge lofts, world-class restaurants, quaint cobblestone side streets and a strong art scene all with a neighborhood feel. Bordering the World Trade Center site, Tribeca was rocked by the terrorist attacks but has survived and reemerged.

David Bouley is one of the celebrity chefs in New York City and I was treating Josh who had been wanting to try out the Bouley cuisine. (This is what che do…spy on each other!) Just inside the front door the walls were imaginatively lined with rows of fresh fall apples with the accompanying aroma…immediately signalling the appetite. The dining area was well appointed but comfortable without crowding.
Each small serving, of which there were many (I lost count), perfectly married colors, textures, temperatures and flavors and each was paired with a complementing wine. It was insightfull to have Josh there to describe the artistry and nuance of each course.

The meal lasted several hours and the service was impeccable. The elegant head waiter was a very experienced Jamaican with a pleasingly subtle sense of humor. The servers were perfectly unobtrusive but attentive and there were at least two assigned to each table. When each course came, we were served by two servers-each bringing two plates so that we all got our meal at the same time. When I got up to visit the ladies room an attendent appeared out of nowhere to lead me to the proper door. Nowhere have I experienced the level of service we had here…and now I know how Queen Elizabeth must feel every day!

This, everyone, if they can, should do once in their lives with people they dearly love.



Tags: , , ,

Comments are closed.