BootsnAll Travel Network



Beslan…Russia’s 9/11

7yBXvp82X2gVlMeZe25DiM-2006198051115673.gif

St. Petersburg, Russia September 6, 2004:
We had been monitoring the hostage crisis in Beslan, North Ossetia, all through Europe…but was one day late to witness a demonstration in Palace Square on Monday where 40,000 people gathered to express outrage at the terrorists.

The English language St. Petersburg Times reported that “fear and horror were reflected on the faces of the people in the crowd” and many held signs reading “You Don’t Scare Us” “Ossetia, Beslan–We Are With You, and “Terrorists Are Not`People.” View image

The presidential envoy to the northwest region said “There are no words that can express our feelings about what the terrorists have done to the children and adults in Beslan. The terrorists are animals who should have no place in Russia or anywhere else in the world.” A famous St. Petersburg film director Alexei German called for ending the moratorium on the death penalty so that terrorists could be executed.

The respected editor of Izvestia, an important Russian newspaper resigned Monday for reporting that Kremlin authorities had covered up the number of hostages (over 1000) being held at the school.



Tags: , , ,

0 responses to “Beslan…Russia’s 9/11”

  1. Irene Mrogenski says:

    Eunice,

    I’m enjoying traveling with you and Bob again; especially enjoyed your visit to our ancestral village – felt close to our “roots”. I’ve forwarded your email to my nephew, Bill & wife, Janet, also his daughter Ellen (she and her husband, Mike, adopted Addie from China and will pick up their 2nd daughter early in ’05.

    The reason I’m writing tonight is that I’m watching Nightline. They’re showing a program on Beslan with interviews of teachers, children, reporters, negotiators, military, etc.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *