BootsnAll Travel Network



Battle Of The Corn

An expat in Oaxaca City has reported that “yesterday the campesinos from the Frente de Communidades of the Cordillera Norte descended into the Zocalo at the center of Oaxaca. they took out all the flowers lining the cement-walled plant areas and planted native corn. In the Alameda, the area didn’t have any plants under the trees anyway (waiting for URO’s next move), so seeding it was easier. It’s been raining, and the “corn fields” look like big mud flats, protected with string fences supported with posts. – well, at least the bird didn’t eat the seed! The Oaxaca people have declared their opposition to transgenic corn by planting the real thing.

Since corn was cultivated first in Oaxaca, corn is considered a cultural patrimony. The campesinos are asking people to grow their own, and maintain the pure thing without purchase from the USA of the yellow corn which undercuts the price of local corn by transnationals like Monsanto, Cargill, Dow AgroSciences and Novartis, plus US farm subsidies. Transgenics have contaminated the local plants, to a degree which is not known – but the farmers are seeking a denial for their import and use in Mexico.”

Today, she reported that “the criollo corn planted in the zocalo and Alameda by the united communities of the Cordillera mountain range to protest transgenic corn by Monsanto, has been dug up. Instead, the government is once again planting hundreds of flowers, petunias, begonias and such, in the mud of the much-rained on plant beds. There is one corn patch which may have survived on the north side of the Alameda- at least it was today. If anyone sees sprouts, let us know.

I have no proof, but my guess is that tearing up the seeds was a kind of pay-back for the 10,000 person march three days ago. But maybe not. Maybe the government just likes flowers. Too bad they never last more than a week, since they are not native to this climate — and I’ve been told by a worker at Carmen Alto Plazuela, that the government refuses to plant native cactus or succulents, which tolerate heat and drought, and last forever. But then, maybe petunias are not too bad, since they must be a big source of income for whatever nursery supplies them….

I have to admit this kind of symbolic warfare is better than disappearing people, but I felt really sad. There’s something about seeing plants sprout -especially food plants, -that can’t be matched by potted flowers.”



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *