BootsnAll Travel Network



Bang Phra Fishing Village

This week I went to Bang Phra fishing village near Chonburi on the Gulf of Thailand with my friend Jiraporn, Professor of Fisheries at Kasetsart University in Bangkok, who, with some of her students, are conducting a population study of the Swimming Crab, a small crab used mostly in soups and salads. There is a concern about the diminishing supply of crab. The students are temporarily living in the village for the duration of the study with a local university fisheries department contributing oversight.

I was blown away by the sense of community here…children playing with their families and each other…vendors bringing around food. I didn’t want to leave. I am now considering a month in this peaceful slow place when I return to Thailand. But I can assure you I won’t be wearing a jacket or a sweatshirt in the 95 degree weather like many of the Thais do!
Gulf of Thailand
Gulf of Thailand

Using Propane To Cook Crab
how-to-cook.JPG

Cooked Crab
cooked-crab.jpg

Fisher Family
fisher-family.JPG

Young Fisherman With His Child
fisherman.JPG

Repairing Nets
repairing-nets.JPG

Buying Lunch
buying-lunch.JPG

Motorcyclists In Front of Typical Shophouse Opposite the Beach
motorcyclists-in-front-of-shophouse-opposite-the-beach.JPG

Vendor
vendor.JPG

Soups And Other Items
lunch.JPG

Building A New Boat
building-new-boat.JPG

Jiraporn With Students
jiraporn-with-students.JPG



Tags: , , , ,

2 responses to “Bang Phra Fishing Village”

  1. Eunice (Zoe) says:

    Yes, I was told by the students that there are some guesthouses along the beach. I’ve found there is always a place to stay wherever you are.

  2. Megan Lockhart says:

    Wow, great pictures. This place (and the food!) looks amazing! Are there places to stay for that length of time? How exciting!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *