BootsnAll Travel Network



Back To Snake Park

The next morning, on the road back to the Snake Park there are small villages and shops; give me pen; give me something; what do you have to give me…the kids yell out to us as we drive past them. The little ones will fight over an empty plastic water bottle.

We are half way to camp when we come upon a huge bog half a mile long and 50 yards wide with several stuck vehicles. Everyone in the village is standing watching the goings on. We have to double back to find another road through some corn fields when we hit another huge bog with 3 feet of water and mud. We are well into the bog when a Land Cruiser, towing a mini-bus, comes into view. There is much yelling back and forth and then Francis realizes it is up to us to back out of the bog to let the Land Cruiser through. I am absolutely astounded at the ability of these vehicles to maneuver through the red slippery clay. Like I said, Hillary really missed some good 4- wheeling!

Drove past the Tanzania Military Defence Association. Reminds me that there has been very little police presence in Kenya or Tanzania. The compound has the only uniform wooden houses we have seen-apparently it is a military installation. all the other houses we have seen so far in Africa are made of sticks and mud.

Meserani Snake Park-Again
East African parks are great; toilets, and showers-some with hot water. Although on this night the water was cold. Found out in the bar later that the meter reader had offered to fix the meter so it would run half as fast if the owners of the park would kick back a monthly fee to him.

While our electronics recharged again I talked with the Brit still at the park who was motorcycling overland. His wife was in their tent recovering from the removal of a molar tooth that day in Arusha. They had lived in Guyana for two years (remember Jonestown?) with the British Volunteer Service and said it had an interesting mix of people and had a waterfall that has the longest free fall in the world but gets no publicity. He had been married 10 years with apparently no children. They rented their house out in London. Said if he could keep his expenses down to 600 pounds a month he could travel indefinitely. ($900) His father was a Cambridge graduate, he said, who still climbs mountains in Nepal. I think we are finding the one percent of the world’s population who have figured out how not to work.



Tags: , , ,

Comments are closed.