BootsnAll Travel Network



San Francisco

So i prepared to leave my lovely Stratosphere hotel behind and headed to the airport to catch my flight to San Francisco and yet another Bootsnall meetup – i was looking forward to this one as i would meet new Booties and catch up with the guys i met back in December – how time has flown since being in Portland.  At the airport which is scarily close to the Strip – i have seen it in the movies but so did not realise it was literally minutes away.  Im at my gate and annoyed because my flight is delayed and then im wondering why everyone is fascinated with looking out the windows and the smoke catches my eye at first and i look to seee The Monte Carlo hotel engulfed in smoke.  Man the Strip must be in chaos, im glad i left when i did.  Having got bored of watching that i turned my attention to the flashing lights of the slot machines – yes they have them in the airport…  I decided to put a dollar in and couldnt believe it when 5mins later i walk away with $50 not bad – that certainly goes towards my evening tonight. Im due to meet up with the guys in a restaurant tonight at 7pm and now my flight has been delayed its going to be a mission to make it.  I land in San Fran and its raining joy oh joy.  After finding my way to the train that will take me into the downtown area i plonk my bum down and get comfortable – its a long ride.  Then huffing and ppuffing my way uphill to find my hostel and yes its still pouring – not fun when you have a backpack let me tell you, i find the place and stagger in at just before 6pm.  I check in dump my bags have a quick wash and change and grab a cab to the restaurant and get there just before 7pm result!! Im now knackered and need a drink.  Annie is shortly behind me and i finally get to meet one of the coolest Booties – and someone i have wanted to meet for a while.  We chat and then everyone else filters in and over tapas and wine i catch up with everybody.  I had a great night and im looking forward to tomorrow when we get to go to Alcatraz one of the places i have always wanted to go. After the restaurant we head to a bar for a couple and then to a club.  By this point im exhausted so call it an night and finalise the times to meet tomorrow.

Saturday dawns clear and rain free – yes and i head out to meet the guys and decide to catch one of the famous trams.  We go up one of the mega hills and im amazed at how we get up there – no way could i walk up it.

I walk down to the piers and hang out for a while before going to meet the guys, stopping atPier 39 whichis a tourist trap if ever i saw one.  I took a few pictures of the surrounding area which i have to say is very pretty.

I met up with the guys and we got on board the ferry to Alcatraz Island.  It took about 10 mins and the view of the skyline behind us was amazing as was the view of the bridge.

After we docked on the island we had to walk up a very steep hill – reminds me of the zig zag at Bournemouth Beach lol and i am certainly getting fitter on this trip as it didnt kill me like i thought it would – yay for me!  Inside you get given individual headsets and so do the tour at your own pace which is a great idea and i have actually no idea how long we were in there as time seemed to fly by.  i learnt so much about the history of the prison and its inmates – and even what i thought i had known was nothing to what i picked up that night.  I urge anyone who does to San Fran to do the tour and try to do the evening one as it really adds to the atmosphere.  It costs a little extra but is totally worth it especially for the nighttime view of the San Fran skyline wow.

We walked to the bar in which we were meeting the other Booties and stayed there for a while catching up with everyone.  The guys decided that they wanted to head over to the other side of the city and trying to hail 3 cabs on a saturday night was proving impossible until somebody flagged down a limo – yes you read that correctly.  So 12 of us piled into this car it was a squeeze thats for sure but it was hilarious.  The driver was crazy and his dog was mental and poor Bill had to sit on the floor but it was definitely an experience and the cost $5 each.  It was another great night out with everyone and summed up a great time in San Fran.  Thanks guys.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *