BootsnAll Travel Network



New Year back in Niagara Falls

Yay im on my way back to the most awesome of hostels and places – Niagara baby yeah!! just have to survive a 13 hour greyhound trip first. Hmm easier said than done i can tell you. I had to be at the greyhound station at the ungodly hour of 6am to ensure my seat on the bus. This meant getting up at 5am – i dont like it but i managed it and got my seat and bonus one – no apparent crazies on my bus – always good!

The journey was uneventful and fairly boring – i had to change buses twice also – once in Syracuse and once in Buffalo and by the time i got to Buffalo i was almost there – just within sight across the border and i would be home. After being held up at the border – thankfully not by me this time – i sailed through. We had to wait for this woman and her kid who were being detained, we didnt get to find out the reasons but must be fairly important to not get into Canada. We ended up having to leave them at the border and carried on our way. No problems with any of the buses and a lovely driver from Buffalo. I was the only one to get off the bus at Niagara and normally when i arrive in a new place its kind of nerve wrecking to be in a new place and finding your way to the hostel. Not so for once – got off the bus sorted out my bag and i walked down to the hostel which is only a 5 min walk. I felt happy, secure and excited to be back here and it really feels like home. I was smiling all the way to the hostel – i may have been the crazy on the bus after all!

And into the wonderful HI Niagara and my friends – it has been 6 weeks since i was last here but it feels like yesterday and was so great to see all the guys again. Yay and its almost new years eve which is going to be good – i cant wait to get back to Queens Bar and have a pornstar. Well i actually didnt wait that long at all – checked in dumped my bags and Mark and I headed over to the bar. I have been up for almost 24 hours but its great to sit here in the best bar in the world. I dare any who has been here to challenge that statement!!

Basically i did nothing for the next few days – and i do mean nothing i barely made it to get some groceries and do my laundry and really that was about all i did – well except head to the bar in the evenings of course. I mean what else was i gonna do really. It was really nice to be in a place where i didnt have to think about anything – i could just chill out and relax and hangout with the guys.

New years eve rolled around and Sim, Duey and I headed down to the falls for the huge concert going on. Basically i had neverthe artists but we had fun and had a bottle of appletini that we were doing shots out of the lid. It was horrible stuff but it kept us warm and i had drunk half a bottle of wine back at the hostel

We wandered around by the falls and headed up Clifton Hill for a bit – which was packed – this was the first time i had seen so many people in Niagara. It was packed and a really good atmosphere. We headed down to a find a spot ready for the fireworks and the crowd were all ready and fired up singing out random songs like ole ole ole and other things like that. Sim managed to scave a sparkler off this couple and we had fun with that and then the countdown and fireworks which i have a video from. I was freezing and after some singing arm in arm to auld lang syne and jingle bell rock (not sure why we started singing this however. I headed back up River Road determined to hit the bar and managed to thumb a cab which i was surprised by. Five minutes later all was good with the world its 2008 and i have a jack and coke in my hand, what could be better. Mark and Martha joined us within the hour and we preceded to drink and celebrate new year in the different time zones of the US and Canada. I have had a fantastic night and we drank until Joe kicked us out im not what the time was – we staggered back to the hostel and decided to wake up the rest of the hostel by making as much noise as possible.

A little hungover on new years day and it didnt help that i had very noisy people checking out at 8am and made the most amount of noise they could – i mean hello its new years day you arent supposed to get up at 8am unless you are just coming home right!!

The rest of the week was spent just hanging out reading and watching tv and hanging out with the guys. I did finally manage to send the parcel of stuff home which cost $40 for 3kg which i guess isnt too bad and it has freed up so much space in my bag.

My last night rolled around and it was time for the friday pub crawl and kareoke night. Cat and Emily and Mark and myself and also David headed to the bar and it was a great night and then the shocker – i finally got up the courage to get up and sing. I chose Wonderwall and green day time of life as my two songs and away i went. I cant believe i did this – it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be and yay i did something that i have always wanted to do bt never had the nerve. A sure sign that travel makes you more confident!! And if no one believes me then there is photo evidence!!

Again my time in Niagara has come to an end and it always goes so quickly its not fair. This time round i was here for 9 days and i loved everyone of them. I feel rested and relaxed and now move on to some serious sightseeing in New York and Washington DC. Just a 12 hour amtrak jpurney between us.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *