BootsnAll Travel Network



grandma

my grandmother passed away last night… she was 98 years old and she lived a very full life, and passed peacefully surrounded by my family and some of her friends… even though i’m far away now, i feel an even stronger connection with her than before because there is such a strong buddhist presence in asia… my father asked that instead of coming home for the service, that i light incense for her at a buddhist temple. just this morning i was telling jess how the spirit houses we passed made me think of her because she would take out offerings to the little shrine in our yard every morning… i’ll miss her, but i know that she is finally getting the rest that she’s needed, and she’s able to be with my grandpa again… she hasn’t been well since around christmas, and the week before i left for this trip i was able to sit down with her to tell her i loved her and to tell her goodbye, and i think she was able to hear and understand me, even if she couldn’t show it.

sorry for the somber moment… more upbeat entries to come soon because thailand is amazing, and jess and i are having a great time exploring bangkok, eating street food, getting thai massages, passing elephants on the street, and staying in a beautiful hotel for $35US a night… but for now, my thoughts are with my grandma.



Tags: ,

9 responses to “grandma”

  1. jess says:

    i’m so sorry about your grandmother malia. she knows you loved her very much. we’ll go honor her tomorrow.

  2. Mom says:

    No worries, Malia….I think Grandma is really happy to be with Grandpa and Emiko again and Dad, Ken, and Todd are all doing ok….just keep her in your prayers and heart and know she is at peace….love you. Mom

  3. Kim says:

    I’m so sorry to hear about your Grandma, Malia. I know we had this talk before you left, just be grateful that you had a chance to say your last goodbyes. Being that she was 98, I’m sure she had a nice, long life. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this hard time. Love you….and miss you lots!

  4. Eric says:

    My deepest and sincerest condolences, Malia. I hope that you found solace at the temple.. 🙂

  5. christy says:

    love you malia. my thoughts are with you. i hope you can feel me tagging along and wishing you well. xoxo

  6. Joanne says:

    My deepest condolences to you and your family. Your grandma and grandpa are up there watching over you now. Take care!

  7. Kirstin says:

    so very sorry Malia – my thoughts are with you. I did not meet your grandma ever, but she seems like an amazing woman – I am sure that she is watching over you and is very proud of your amazing journey.

  8. Erin says:

    I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your Grandma. My deepest condolences to you and your family. I know how hard it can be to loose a loved one, especially when you are away. I am praying for you guys!
    Also, thank you for all the blogs!! I would love to be able to travel one day! Until God blesses me with the opportunity, I will continue to live vicariously through you! 😀 Take care and God bless!

  9. Jasmine says:

    i’m so sorry to hear about your grandma, malia. sending my love to you and your family. love you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *