BootsnAll Travel Network



Picikin…

So here I am..finally in Bangkok. Have to say the first hassle free journey, there has never been a time when I have not encountered some problem or another. This trip was a breeze…maybe because I spent a very relaxing day with my freinds Dav, Tania and their cousins which put me in the right set of mind. It was all because of Picikin….


We played “Picikin” in their pool for more than an hour.It started with amusing the 1 1/2 year old baby (cutest 1 1/2 yr old that I have met in the last week ) and keeping him entertained but in the end we were not sure who was the kid. I think its a croatian sheppard’s game which Dav bought down with him. The idea is to play with a ball in the pool and have to keep it out of the water. Dry Ball.

13.34 hours..that was the exact flight time from San Francisco to Hong Kong…been there done that..no biggie. Another 2.5 hours and I was in Bangkok. After a hassle free ride on the Airport Bus to my guest house I was ready to explore.

Now one would think that in Thailand finding thai food is easy but here I was having some serious doubts. I saw more sarees and turbans..am in Mumbai??..there was the Vikram Apts, Vijay Laundry….Mrs Balbir’s, Mughali Durbar and Dosa king ( oh I will have to go there). Finally I was rushed into a small area where there were couple of food stalls and pretty girls ushering folks to there tables.

Pad Thai NO EGG!..she said yes yes ..I said No Egg No Egg…she said okay okay. She gave me that look…I understand English…but how could I explain to her that it was life and death for me (allergic to eggs) …I gave a pathetic smile and tried to look busy and prayed for NO EGG. My first taste …very disspointing…soggy and oily and basically no taste at all. All the vinegar and chilli oil made no difference. I have had better. I was really sad ..I was let down maybe by myself as I had so many hopes of finding heaven in my first meal in thailand.

I did have better luck the next day after a very hot and tiring sightseeing trip to the Grand Palace and the temples near by. The guy at this restaurant gave me a small smile when I said to him..Hot! …Not American. Later there was a nod of approval after I ate what one would consider a typical chicken curry and rice…yes! I am here in Thailand. I have arrived.



Tags:

2 responses to “Picikin…”

  1. sacheen says:

    hey madhu, good to know ur enjoying ur sabbatical…keep me posted…when u in india??

  2. Madhu says:

    will be there from Aug to Nov….