BootsnAll Travel Network



Little India…Big Bangkok

Bangkok can be daunting at a first glance but look closer at this city and you will see that Idiot’s guide to bangkok will never make it to the top 10 list. This city is geared towards the tourist..its pretty easy to get around and in a day or two you get the hang of it..but it will take a lifetime to “discover” this city and one should not even attempt to do so in the few days we make ourselves at home here. Bangkok does get a bad rap and I have to say so far I have had a very pleasant time here.Inspite of the scam stories you will encounter people who are gentle, kind and very helpful. But its hard to judge when is friendly a step close to a scam. Having read about the tourist scams i thought i was prepared for anything but I did encounter my fair share and inspite being on guard..I slipped.

Map of Thailand th-map.gif


No worries..I came to my senses soon. After attending a prayer at one of the “Wat” i was walking in the temple complex still enhancted by the chanting and did’nt pay attention when a well dressed man said..ah Indian…Agra…Jaipur..I have been there. He told me he was a school teacher on vacation from chaing mai..I pretty much told him my life story in 2 seconds as well. Oh temples always open…you should go to the market which is only open today. I brought my map out and suddenly realised..Sucker!! No harm done..politely I said thank you and walked off with a smile..thinking boy that was close.

——————————————–
So here I was walking through the labrinyth of chinatown which is never ending. My second time in Chinatown…even after being lost and heading back to my hotel pretty late last night after missing the boat connections..I could not resist coming back.The life in and around Chinatown’s is so interesting…its real and mostly non touristy.

So where was I …yes in the meandering alley’s of chinatown. I see the brightest shocking pink catching my attention.. I see a new bride in all her Indian finery calling out..Agee main yaha hoo ( calling out to her hubby saying..here I am) Am standing right in front of a sikh temple ..Gurudwara..right in the middle of the red lanterns. I wandered inside basically out of sheer curiostity..looks and feel like a true Gurudwara…I even see a huge Langar ( a free kitchen) In good old college days few of my freinds would eat free meals around the end of the month when their money was running out at similar temples. The Sikh are very kind and helpful to folks in need and I even saw an example of this in London when two of my cousins were studying there. The folks at the temple fed them so that they would have more time to study. Around the temple one could see little indian stores selling everything from oil,loose tea,butter (ghee) to delicious sweets..with the latest music of “Hum Tum” playing in the background. I could not resist going into a alley where I found yummy Hot Chilli Paneer,roti’s and Rasmalai.

Many enterprising sikh business men own the textile shops in and around Chinatown among all the chinese and thai merchants…they are very sucessful from the look of it. These are two very enterprising people and have to say …I think one can find a chinese and Indian restaurant anywhere in the world…maybe except in Antartica…humm never know. At the other end of the town there is a Hindu temple dedicated to Goddess Mahalakshami. A miniature version of temples in Madras. There was even a “Tiffin” canteen in the alley across. Seems there is a distinct Little India in Big Bangkok. The temple devotees were mainly thai and the offerings were similar to the ones I had seen in the various Buddha temples around the city.

———————————————————-
They tell me that 80,000 odd Indian origin folks live in Thailand making them the 2nd largest minortiy in Thailand. Slowly they are integrating into mainstream thailand by marrying local Thai girls..where traditionally they would bring a bride from India.

Am always fascinated with what brings people to cross borders and find a living in a country away from their own. Why would’nt they…Bangkok is a bustling metro but with the friendliness and familiarity of small towns. Its a strange city..modern, ancient, quaint,trendy all at the same time….one can find so many things one can instantly dislike about this town but on the other hand you can make this town “home” and so it seems many have…short timers like me as well.
—————————————————————————–



Tags:

One response to “Little India…Big Bangkok”

  1. sacheen says:

    hey there madhu, let me see some pics, if u can…take care, girl