BootsnAll Travel Network



Friends new and old….

“Internet sites allow you to spill it all to the world and but still stay anonymous”

The introduction to a article from the Sunday paper. The article talks about how its easy to unburden to a stranger on the internet. There sites out there (I have NOT been there yet! ) that are cyberconfessionals. People are unburdening their deepest darkest secrets in complete anonymity. The article talks more about the secrets that plague us, some silly some serious and having an outlet to pour them of of the system is good for some.

This article got me thinking.


In the last coupe of years I’m sure all of us have noticed many trends in the world of cyber space. I have for sure. I have noticed how people connect or reconnect because of the internet. I think it has changed personal communication to a large extent.

I have noticed the ease with one shares information on the net, people share a lot to a nameless friend, the lack of manners of the net..especially on the forums where if somebody asks a question the more experienced either make fun of the question or have a smart aleck answer. I have noticed that on a very popular travel site forum. On the other hand I have noticed how people help as well. A complete stranger will take the time to write to you, express their opinion and offer their help.

I personally have had some great experiences because of the internet. My time on the internet soared when I started to think about chucking everything and travel. My need to talk to those who had done this (since there was nobody close to me who had this experience first hand) I turned to strangers. For days I lurked in the shadows of many internet sites and personal web pages where people spoke about their traveling experiences. Finally I reached out, some gave me the courage that I needed. I thank all those nameless strangers.

I’m not a social anthropologist or one who knows more about this changing trend but speaking from experience feels like we have different sets of friends. Friends from work, friends from gym, friends from the net, strangers we think are friends, and then there are those who have stood the test of time. They are ones who listen to your ramblings without yawning, meet you for dinner on a moments notice (usually only if you offer to buy :-), just kidding), then there are the ones you tell some of your deep fears. Of course who can forget those you grew up with. They knew you when you had braces, when you wore thick ikky glasses, loved the nerd in you. They helped you through the first crush, picked you up when you fell after your first meeting with Captain, never said “I told you so” when you somebody broke your heart.

We need them all. Some more than the others.

Just want to say thanks!! to all my friends old and new, far and new, faceless and dear. Thanks for being such a great bunch!

Cheers!



Tags:

2 responses to “Friends new and old….”

  1. Chuck says:

    You’re welcome!

  2. Chuck says:

    …and thank you, too.