BootsnAll Travel Network



A Slice of Pai…

So finally I made the move from Chiang Mai…my last day there was pretty eventful as I was given an oppurtunity to practise my detachment from worldly things. So I went to get my laundry and the lady there kept saying..am so sorry..am so sorry…and am first thought was she forgot to do my laundry..but I soon figured out that she burned my trousers…that too my fav kind..which had insect repellant woven in the fibers. I was so sad to see that as I really loved them…they were perfect..the zip off shorts were knee length ..usually only men’s pants are that lenght…women’s shorter and in this country modesty is appreciated. I was upset for a second but then asked her to repair the pants so that I could at least wear them capri’s. Detachment from wordly things was hard to practice..in principle it sounds great but to put it to use is hard. After feeling guilty for feeling so lousy for a pair of pants I left with the rest of my laundry…of course she did’nt charge me..FREE Laundry service.


All this was forgotten as I looked out the window on my trip to Pai which lies in the Northwest side of Chaing Mai. Emerald green trees meet the horizon with the balck monsoon clouds to create the most beautiful blue that I have ever seen. Lush forests and paddy fields dorn the rim of the valleys. The combination seems to be heaven. Of course everybody is here…not just me. Am hoping to get some trekking done here and just relax, explore the country side and see if I can get one of those 100cc bikes to ride around to see the sites around.

P6210118.JPG

So I did rent a bike after some encouraging words from a fellow guest house mate who was pretty nice. He first took me for a trial run on his rented bike and then we got one for me. It was 125cc and I was not that sure in the begining but got a hang of it. I have to say it was great the feeling of freedom one gets with their own set of wheels..be it two or four. I miss my MONSTER ( black ford explorer).

For some strange reason I have been having headaches since I reached Pai..humm its not that high up so can’t be altitude sickness..can it? So i cancelled my plans to go trekking with a cool french couple I met on the bus…they seemed to want to do that same thing I had in mind…less hill tribes and true trekking. I really am not comfortable with the idea of destroying what ever is left of their culture but on the other hand tourism had brought them much needed exposure where their human rights are concerned. There are always two sides to a coin..so this debate also continues.

Read a cool book called “1421 The year the chinese discovered the world” . It claims that the chinese had already discovered Americas, Australia, etc decades before Columbus, Cook or Da Gama. Interesting read. The guest house am staying at has a pretty decent library so lets see what catches my eye next. The Sunhut is really a home away from home. On and Run the owner couple are really cool folks who have really maintained the place as a home. “On” always is offering me something to eat…and I absolutely love the way she says my name…she pronounces is just like my Mom does. The place is about a 1km away from the main town and is not exactly the party place …but a wonderful peaceful enclave of bungalows to relax and read in. I want to do something really nice for them but can’t think of anything right now….wish I had my bag of Indian Spices..I could have cooked them a nice meal.

The weather is perfect for some “Chai” and “Pakoras”…yesterday we (Brendan..my aussie neighbour and his mate Omer) made some tea ..indian style but it was not the masala chai we were all craving for. It was a perfect end to a perfect day…we went to a near by spa and relaxed in the hot springs…saw a double rainbow!..how incredible is that. Went back to the bungalows..chasing the pot of gold at then end of the rainbow.

P6210133.JPG



Tags:

6 responses to “A Slice of Pai…”

  1. B Boy says:

    Cool site girl, how can I get one? Tut tut for owning a massive SUV you naughty thing. Do you hit the dirt much? Thanks for making me a part of the site. Hope to catch you in San Fran my firm friend. Hope the headaches piss off as we say in Oz. I have a fever or some freaing poisoning, haven’t eaten much all day and you know how I love to eat! The bus ride to C.M. was a nightmare but the flight after was heaven, skip 14 hours on the train! I will keep checking in on you. Happy wanderings, take some pics of laos for me! Peace. B

  2. Madhu says:

    yeah yeah i know about my SUV…i bought it years ago and even then i debated a lot about it….i don’t really get a chance to drive as much as in the city you really don’t need wheels and parking is so tough…i have barely hit the dirt so to speak..

    about the site…first go to the Bootsnall web site and become and member and then get one..its very very easy…

    i will post the pics of the rainbows soon…

  3. sacheen says:

    hey madhavi, wish i cud get up and go..like you did…must say..takes guts, girl..hope ur enjoying every moment..

  4. Madhu says:

    I am enjoying my time and I feel blessed to have this oppurtunity..really blessed…thanks for the cheers…will catch up with you over Kingfisher one of these days…

  5. Daniel says:

    Join the Linux community.

  6. madhu says:

    humm..not sure I get the comment..pray tell again..am a tubelight when it comes to somethings….