BootsnAll Travel Network



Out of the Crevasse…

SAR training.JPG

Search and Rescue Training went OK. Exclusively mountaineering skills and no patient care. It was an entire day of self-arrests and crevasse rescue. I definitely learned a lot and it was nice to get out of town. I am not too optimistic about my chances of making it on to the team though. I was the only Summer-only and the only first year. I also feel like I learned more than I showed off. The one thing I have working to my advantage is that I was the only person from the Food Service department and they try to have a team selected from a diverse employment pool.
Luci has been out at the runway with me for the past 2 days covering for my regular assistant. Debbie is out doing a field training called Happy Camper. It is essentially a 2-day winter camping course. Another excuse to get out of town.
There has been quite a bit of air traffic these days. There are still Polies arriving and leaving for pole. The population is hovering right around 1000 these days. They say the population peak is around mid-november. Yesterday our friend Adrianne from NH flew in on her way to pole. I was able to meet her as she came off the plane. She flew in yesterday afternoon and flew out at 7am this morning. We were able to spend a couple of hours talking about home and plans for the season and beyond. Best of luck to her and all the rest of the AMC Polies!
Here is my not-so-regular-anymore link. It is a website called Big Dead Place: http://www.bigdeadplace.com/. The humorous and sometime disillusioned former Ice employees who make up the editors and contributors of this site have created a satirical and humorous look at life on the ice and the ways we cope with it.




2 responses to “Out of the Crevasse…”

  1. Pam Gaber says:

    This is great! Thanks so much for including me, but what’s Luci up to all day every day?
    Thanks!

  2. Justin Huston says:

    It’s been great hearing how you guys are doing…what an adventure! I start to feel jealous, then realize you are freezing your asses off…and there’s no waves. question: with all that snow, how come we haven’t heard about any snowball fights?