BootsnAll Travel Network



Magnetic Island

Magntic Island Ferry.jpg

For just a moment I feel like I have to plug Virgin Blue and low cost airlines in general. For short hauls they can’t be beat. The way they work is that you pay a low price and get nothing complimentary: no headsets, no movie, no drinks, no meals. Of course they are available if you want to pay for them and the prices are not exaggerated. I got a big sandwich and a coke for about $7 US and the VB cabin crew were amusing and service oriented.

As soon as we arrived here in Queensland, the most northern part of our trip so far, we found out that swimming was going to be a problem, as we thought it might be. During the summer months, winter in the Northern Hemisphere, is stinger season. There are two species of stinging jellyfish around tropical coastal areas. As Luci always likes to recall, the treatment for a Box Jellyfish sting is: 1) Douse sting with vinegar, 2)Prepare to resuscitate. On the ferry ride across the bay to Magnetic Island we could see the prevalence of the jellyfish in the water.

The weather was nice when we arrived and we went for a walk to the grocery store in the afternoon. The coastline reminds me of the Maine coast in places. By nighttime, though, we found ourselves in the midst of a tropical monsoon. Luckily, we have a TV in our room and the Australian Formula One Grand Prix is on this weekend. We also found out that we can get the Italian news broadcast TG1 every morning. Obviously, we hope to get outside some while we are here. There is a prolific population of Koalas here on magnetic island and we hope to see one while we are here.



Tags:

Comments are closed.