BootsnAll Travel Network



Last days in Colorado

Keystone Sky.jpg

The end of our stop in Colorado is rapidly approaching. We had an amazing week in Summit County. We couldn’t have asked for better weather and conditions. I took Wednesday off from the slopes; did some shopping and relaxed around the Condo. It was snowing pretty hard and was supposed to taper off on Thursday.

On Thursday I went to Vail. They were reporting 4 inches of new snow overnight. When I got to the Back Bowls, it was evident that there was far more than 4 inches. I rode up on the lift with a ski patroller and over heard a conversation on her radio. Someone from the base was asking for a more accurate measurement of snow depth. The patroller replied that there was more like 13” while the person at the base lamented “mis-advertising” the mountain’s conditions. I heard more than one person say that it was quite possibly the best day of the season. It was easily the best one I have had in a while. There remained, throughout the day, a thin veil of clouds that kept the temperatures low and the snow light. Which made for superb riding.

On Friday I convinced Luci that the conditions were going to be just the way she liked them; sunny, warm and soft. We went together to Keystone and had a great day together on the slopes. It was really perfect.

On Saturday we went together to Breckenridge and I hiked up peak 9 and got fresh runs on the Whale’s Tail amongst other things. Luci stayed in the valley and explored the town. By the end of the day I was exhausted from 5 days of open to close riding.

Back in Boulder we took a quick trip up to Rocky Mountain National Park and basked in the hospitality of our gracious hosts, Amy and Eric. Tomorrow we end our return trip from Antarctica to Maine and after a brief 5 days at home we leave again.



Tags:

Comments are closed.