BootsnAll Travel Network



Feragosnow

Feragosto 2005.jpg

Buon Feragosto! Today, on the big European holiday of the Assumption, when most Italians try their best to splayed out in the sun on the beach, we woke to 20cm of snow here at the hut. We have had many lonely Feragosti here at Boccalatte but this is the first one when there has actually been snow. Yesterday morning started with nice sunny skies. They were tinted with a bit of haze, though. By midday, the haze was beginning win the battle and by early afternoon it was raining. The first climbers to return from the summit of the Grandes Jorasses, a group from the Swiss Mountaineering Club who had stayed with us the night before, arrived by lunchtime just before the rain started. By the time the whole group of 9 arrived at the hut, it had gone from partly sunny to rainy to snowing. They beat a quick retreat to the valley after a round of beer before the weather got worse. Climbing teams continued to trickle back to the hut, each more bedraggled than the next. The last group to arrive was a pair of Florentines who had summated but managed to get caught in the worst of the storm in the lower part of the glacier. They arrived accumulated with snow and seeking soup. After “a long consultation” they made the unexpected decision to continue to the valley leaving us with only one unlucky soul for the evening.

Massimo is a Sicilian which, in a way is the root of his unluckiness. Unable to satisfy his appetite for climbing on the sunny island of his birth, he came to the Alps in search for action and adventure. Afflicted with a passion for the mountains, he left the sun, beaches and hordes of sand seekers of his native Ragusa to make an attempt on the Grande Jorasses; solo. Unfortunately for him, he also arrived at the hut just as it was beginning to snow. Difficult enough when the conditions are prime, the climb solo after a substantial snowfall is suicide. So instead of lounging on the beach with his friends, he gets to spend his Feragosto with us here at Boccalatte…in the snow.



Tags:

3 responses to “Feragosnow”

  1. Peter (clicclic) says:

    I may have missed a post but I was just wondering what your itinerary/schedule is. Will you return to Antarctica and if so when?

    So far your Antarctica blog is the only one I’ve found on the ‘Net. If you could, please reply privately too: pkuhns({[a.t.}yahoodotcom

  2. Jeremy says:

    WOW!!! What a great blog! I came across it while looking for pictures of McMurdo. My wife and I both recently took positions for this season and will be in CHC around the 1st of OCT. This will be our first season on the ice and we’re really looking forward to it! I have always wanted to get into climbing, but growing up on the east coast of the states made oppourtunities difficult to come by, at best. Your pictures of all your adventures make me want to pursue, more actively, those things that I long for. We are planning to tour the south island of NZ on our way back home after the season, and any pointers you have would be great. Where will you be working while on the ice? Best of luck with your travels! damuley@yahoo.com

  3. Kevin says:

    Those are amazing pics, Luke. Good to know you are doing well in Italia.

    This is Kevin, Isaac’s friend from Mporokoso, Zambia, how ’bout more pics from Africa?