BootsnAll Travel Network



Eungella to Summit County

Fintch_Hatton_Gorge.jpg

We got Ash dropped off at the airport and decided to hold onto the car for the remaining days before our flight out. To kill the time we drove up into Eugella National Park to look for platypus. We stayed in a bungalow in Fitch Hatton Gorge for two nights unwinding. We went for a nice hike to a couple of waterfalls and for a drive around the park. No platypus though. We found out when we got back to Mackay that we were looking in the wrong place.

Tues the 22nd started at 5am in Mackay and finished in Denver, CO about 30hrs later at 3:30pm the same day. No, really! Because we crossed the international date line we actually arrived in Denver 15 minutes before we left Sydney on our transpacific flight. Our good friends Amy and Eric (who came to visit us at Boccalatte last summer) picked us up at the airport. We spent the week at Eric’s house in Boulder and they introduced us to their friends and showed us around the town. We made a trip into the city to the Raytheon Polar Services Company offices to talk about work for next year. We still have no definite answers.

At the moment we are in the town of Silverthorne in Summit county. We are staying at the condo of some very generous friends in Denver. The Spelmans are the parents of some fellow Antarcticans and model citizens of Wheat Ridge, CO . When Luci and I were planning on coming out to the Raytheon job fair in 2003 to find work in Antarctica, our friend Kirk said we should stay with his parents. Karen and Allen put us up in their home and offered to let us stay in their condo while we waited to hear something from Raytheon. We had Easter lunch with the Spelman family on Sunday and then came up to the condo where we have been snowboarding/skiing.

On Monday we went to Arapahoe Basin where it was a little windy but in general a beautiful sunny spring day. Yesterday, I went alone to Copper Mountain where it snowed on and off most of the day. I spent the morning on the lower slopes around the Timberline Lift and in the afternoon had some amazing runs in the Spaulding Snow Bowl.



Tags:

One response to “Eungella to Summit County”

  1. Henry says:

    Love the blog. You guys rock. I wish I were a fraction of the expeditioner you are.

    I just noted the date you posted.

    Posted on March 31, but I’m reading it on March 30 in the U.S. Gotta love the Int. date line.