BootsnAll Travel Network



Botanic Gardens

Botanic Bardens.jpg

We got our last things mailed out from the Clothing Distribution Center (the USAP operations center in NZ) so now are packs are finally the ideal size for travel. In all I think we spend over $200 to mail stuff away. Somehow we really managed to accumulate a lot of stuff while in Antarctica. I don’t quite see how considering I sold my PlayStation and got rid of or left behind a lot of clothes.

Since Christchurch is a cash vacuum, we have been cooking in and doing free activities. The Kiwis are mad about their activities: from skydiving to Zorbing they have it all of you are willing to pay. Good thing I brought my kite. Day before yesterday we met up with our friend Sasha and went flying. The wind was variable but we got some good flights in.

In the afternoon we took the bus over to Lyttleton, the Christchurch port. Sasha got us on board the Nathaniel B Palmer for an informal tour. The America Tern was also in port for fuel and to offload some of the Kiwi cargo from Scott Base that got loaded when the ship was at McMurdo. We got to watch it leave on its way back to the States. Afterwards, we went to dinner with a big group of scientist from the NBP for their farewell party. It was at a nice restaurant that served the closest thing to traditional NZ cuisine that I have had. It had a nice view and we saw our first real sunset since being back in the part of the world where the sun sets more that once a year.

Yesterday we went to the beach at Brighton and flew the kite a little. Today we took a thorough tour of the famous Christchurch Botanic Gardens. One of the best free activities in all of NZ. Tomorrow we have our flight up to Auckland. We don’t plan on spending much time there though. We have a bus on Sunday up to the Bay of Islands where we start our sailing course.



Tags:

3 responses to “Botanic Gardens”

  1. Brewster says:

    Luke and Lucy, its all so exciting. Thank you. Can you swing through Hawaii on your way to Denver from Aussie Land? You’d dig the house, the beach is the front yard, the surf is great and the reef is full of life for diving… remote, warm, sunny, tranquil… What more can I say… you’re always welcome… love brew…
    808-542-8184

  2. Ali Goodwin says:

    Hey Luke – this is always a good read! AND to let you know – I’m building a new house in Bass Harbor – we’ve rented a house in Bar Harbor for a year while building so PLEASE do come by for a visit on your next trip to Acadia! 44 Hancock!
    love Ali

  3. Luke says:

    We were planing on coming to vist in Hawaii, Chris but we couldn’t fit in everything we wanted to do in the short amount of time we had. We WILL come to vist one of these days so stick around.