BootsnAll Travel Network



Bag Drag

Bag Drag.JPG
Well, nothing spectacular to report in our last dispatch from the Antarctica. This is a picture of ?Bag Drag?. We all check in for our flight the day before and drag our bags up the hill where it is processed. This week has not been particularly busy but it has been tiring. For Valentines day I got Luci a little tiny Sony Vaio laptop. This time of year everyone is selling their stuff so they don?t have to take it back with them. And, since I am me, I got a great price on it. But, as any of you who have ever had to re-load windows knows, it has been stressful to get it up and running. I was hoping to take advantage of the Computer Techs here but time is running out?
Today was the last day of work for us. I think I can speak for the both of us when I say it was unemotional. It is sad to think such a great time is coming to a close but it is always nice to finish up a season and move on to other things. I am sure we will feel differently if our flight doesn?t get out. We are scheduled to fly out sometime on Wednesday afternoon but we are told to keep a uniform in our carry-on in case the flight doesn?t go so that we can come into work the next day.
Tomorrow on our bag-drag day, we already have a full roster. We have to go to the post office and put in a change of address; the store and gear issue to sign a form saying we have no outstanding rentals; and get a free haircut while they last among other things. Oh, by the way, those of you who have been using my .gov e-mail, it will no longer work after Tuesday but feel free to e-mail me at my other address or post comments.
It is hard to believe that very soon we will be in the peak of temperate summer after 5 months in the Antarctic. We are trying not to get too excited about it so we can focus on packing up. We have been making plans though. Hopefully we?ll be sailing on a friend?s 30 ft. boat this time next week and, if things go well, we have a nice little van to get us around NZ for the next 2 months as well.




Comments are closed.