BootsnAll Travel Network



Back on Land

Te Pukatea Beach 

Here are a few pictures from Our Kayaking trip with my two brothers. It was a good time overall.  We had a variety of conditions to conntend with (but no rain) which kept it interesting and there were bouts of familial strife but it is such a nice area that it is extremely hard not to enjoy ourselves. We had two tandem Kayaks and were out for five days and four nights of camping. Two of our campsites were only accessible by boat. 

The gang

 The first one we had all to ourselves. The other two were also accessible by foot on the Abel Tasman Costal Track but it always turned out to be other kayakers we were sharing the sites with. the water is surprisingly warm and we enjoyed a lot of beach time. 

Te Pukatea Beach

We tried not to exert ourselves too much but on some stages we were facing some pretty heavy swell and wind.  There were some beautiful tide lagoons that we were able to explore because the high tide fell right in the middle of the day. We also saw many NZ fur seals and birdlife including Little Blue Penguins and Cormorants.

Joel & Jesse   

Our last day was by far the best weather. We had flat seas and a light breeze on our backs. We did some island exploring with an amazing view of Mt. Authur the newest peak in my bag. 

After our trip was over and the boats returned we were planning on staying in Motueka. At the last moment we decided to stay on the bus all the way to Nelson where we met up with a friend from the Ice. The four of us managed to score a nice little appartment for the weekend from a friend of the bus driver. As it turns out, the place is actually the cafe and hostel owners private suite that he sometimes rents out to friends. It was an entirely impromtu manouvre that turned out to be very succesful.

Our NZ trip is drawing to a close and we have our minds set on Sydney.  We are staying for a few days on our stopover on the way to Japan.  It was to be an eight-hour stop that we turned into a three-day stop to make a weekend out of it.  Jesse will be there two and is in the process of finding a place near us at Manly beach with some friends. He is going to be in Australia for a bit longer than us and plans to get out of the city.

Someone found Joels passport and gave it to the police. The police then sent it to the US consulate in Auckland. Joel called and asked them to send it to Christchurch where he can pick it up.

We are all headed back there tomorrow…by thumb. Yep, cheap to the bone. I ‘ll try to drop another post from CHC before we leave on Tuesday morning.  



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *