BootsnAll Travel Network



Exmouth

I left Coral bay for Exmouth, at the other end of the reef, was going to go out and do some more snorkeling but the clouds came in and it actually rained, didn’t look like a great afternoon for snorkeling so I just chilled out in town, yes Exmouth is actually a town. A small one but nevertheless, restaurants, shops, hotels and actual houses with residents in them!

Next morning the weather had cleared somewhat so I headed over to the reef, rented some snorkel gear and went to the two most popular snorkeling spots in this area. The reef is so close to land here it’s amazing. at one of these sites it’s maybe 30 meters off shore!! What I saw was similar to the snorkeling in Coral bay, not quite as intense as the kayak snorkel trip since that was farther out to sea over the middle of the reef but still breathtaking, no coral formations look the same so it’s all worth exploring. While snorkeling at turquoise bay (appropriately named) I saw a black tipped reef shark, surprisingly because there was lots of snorkelers, normally the sharks would be scared off but I turned my head and there he was, swam by and disappeared. It’s an interesting feeling to turn around in the water and see a shark…

After I was done snorkeling for the day I headed back into town, was couchsurfing again, another great experience there, very good night spent at my hosts weekly poker night. I think the most enjoyable aspect of couchsurfing, for me at the moment anyway, is the opportunity to just spend a night just hanging out with people at their place, a mental break from the hostel atmosphere and being on the road in general, you just feel like a house guest with this, it’s refreshing, a load of fun and a great concept.

The next morning I left Exmouth and headed South back towards Perth, ending up at the same strange hostel in Geraldton for the night simply because I was sick of driving (about 750km driven) and the other hostel in town was full. There’s not much choice for towns to stop at in this area.

Now I’m back in Perth, returned my rental car and I have a couple days here before I fly to Adelaide, enjoying city life again…



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.