BootsnAll Travel Network



Intermission: California (and Oregon) Dreamin’

California, Here I Come
Right back where I started from
where bowers of flowers
bloom in the spring
each morning at dawning
birdies sing at everything
a sunkissed miss said, “Don’t be late!”
that’s why I can hardly wait
open up that Golden Gate
California, Here I Come

Here’s an Intermission blog that is short on text but has lots of pics of friends and family. Our apologies to those we failed to visit or get a good picture of.

San Francisco welcomed us with great weather, clean streets, hot showers, grocery stores, good coffee, anonymity, and cars that stop for you.

How exactly does that Golden Gate “open”?
golden.jpg

Sweet luxury! Good coffee at long last. Marcus was in such rapture that he was having a hard time eating.
ca_sweetluxury.jpg

With virtually no sleep, our pool skills weren’t that great. Kelly, Marc’s mom Lynn, Marc’s sister-in-law Kim (with soon-to-be nephew Jack), Marc’s brother Jon, and Marc’s dad Dennis.
ca_pool.jpg

Dennis, Marc, and Jon on the deck of The Beach House in Bodega Bay.
ca_thedeck.jpg

Gotta love the dog beach.
ca_dogpark.jpg

The marina in The Marina.
ca_marina.jpg

The Palace of Fine Arts.
ca_palace.jpg

For those of you who know the Yoda story, Kelly was feeling awfully guilty around this statue at the Lucas complex in the Presidio.
ca_yoda.jpg

Lynn, Marc, Kelly, and Jon on the roof of Jon and Kim’s new place.
ca_roofview.jpg

Stopped by Bakersfield to hang out with Marc’s family.
ca_bako.jpg

Grandma Peggy was so overwhelmed by our visit that we had to take her to the hospital. (Sorry this is the only picture we had of you grandma; we’ll do better next time.)
ca_peggy.jpg

Also made it to Tehachapi to see Marc’s paternal grandfolks: Jack and Nelle.
ca_gandg.jpg

We went to Pasadena to visit old workmates (who should be working rather than looking at this blog!). Kelly’s JPL workmates, from left to right: Mike, Jordan, Young, Kyran, Kelly, Bryan, Gus, Charles, Priscilla, Magdy, Darrick, Bob, Mark.
ca_jpl.jpg

Some of Marc’s amigos from Caltech: Marc, Bill, Molly, Deirdre (thanks for the correction Pete!), and Pete.
ca_techers.jpg

Molly and Kelly go nuts for the Beer’s of Belgium festival at Lucky Baldwin’s. You can tell from the picture that Marcus did most of the drinking.
ca_belgians.jpg

We totally failed to get a picture of Marcus with his aunts and uncle in LA (sorry Nita, Jody, and Butch!), but we did get one of him at his favorite restaurant. It’s the Fake Meat Chinese place on Valley Blvd. If Marcus looks serious here, it’s because the place is sacred to him.
ca_fmc.jpg

Made it over to Santa Barbara to visit Kelly’s brother Drew and his girlfriend Toni.
ca_drewtoni.jpg

Drew and Toni’s dog Cassius.
ca_bluecash.jpg

Drew and Air Cash.
ca_aircash.jpg

Back to San Francisco and caught up with old friends Kory and Byron (who will be first against the wall for owning that car).
byronkory.jpg

A lot of Kelly’s relatives showed up from, most recently, Fiji (Laura and Martin) and Hong Kong (Marian and Rich). From left to right: Laura, Dan (Kel’s dad), Maureen, Sean, Martin, Marian, Rich, Marc and Kelly.
clarkes.jpg

Headed up to Oregon and passed through the last California town of Dorris. At least it had good light…
ca_dorris.jpg

Kel and her mom Suzi enjoying the fine Oregon weather.
suzi.jpg

One of Suzi’s neighbors stopped by for a bite.
or_squirrel.jpg

Don’t mess with Webster.
or_webster.jpg

Our camera barely survived the trip (and over 9000 pictures) from the heat and humidity of the jungles of Borneo to the cold and dry of the Himalayas. We got a new camera and put Old Reliable out to pasture.
or_oldreliable.jpg



Tags:

5 Responses to “Intermission: California (and Oregon) Dreamin’”

  1. zcookes/Mom Says:

    Nice to have the ‘intermission’, but what about Turkey?

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Mom Says:

    Interesting collection of pics – you guys sure added a few miles during your intermission!

    Hope you’ve found a few less expensive spots in Turkey by now, and that the weather’s cleared up too!

    Hugs xoxox

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Mark Palm Says:

    It was good to see you, Kelly. The Kopi Luwak was good, even in the powdered form.

    Continue having fun.

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Byron Says:

    Oh sure like traveling around the world and posting to a blog is real proletarian behavior! Fascists.

    Great to see you guys,

    Byron

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. Pete Says:

    Hey M & K,

    it was great seeing you two in Pasadena. Yes, you did spell Deirdre’s name incorrectly. “i before e except after c or in neighbor, weigh and Deirdre.”

    I don’t remember if we mentioned it, since we were still officially in embargo time when we saw you, but Deirdre’s got a little one one the way. We’re ~12 weeks in now.

    Pete

  10. Posted from United States United States