BootsnAll Travel Network



Days 47-48: Didgeridoo

We spent a couple of days in Byron Bay… which is hippie central – kind of like a small Berkeley on the beach. Nice relaxed, healthy vibe. Everyone is pregnant. Upon our first arrival at the beach we were both immediately peed on by a seagull flying overhead.

Despite that brief visit, we returned many times to the goregous bay – no, not because a lot of it was clothing optional. The second visit Marcus spotted dolphins swimming very close to shore.

We have eaten quite well here, but the only thing worth writing home about was the vegetable tempura rolls at a sushi restuarant. Right: they put deep fried veggies straight into a rice and nori roll – it was yummy. Ok, we lied. We went to the farmers market one morning and picked up breakfast. Olive and thyme sourdough bread, pumpkin-banana-coconut donuts, originally imported but grown locally now red dragon fruit, and bananas. Of course, where else could we dine but at the beach.
breakfast1.jpg

One evening we decided to go to a bar. We weren’t boozing it up, we just went for the fire show. The fire show was a half-naked guy flinging, swinging and throwing around flaming objects at high speed. This guy had absolutely no body hair. We felt the heat it was so close. It was impressive.
fireshow.jpg

We stayed in a place with some character. Our tent was out on an island (with others) surrounded by a tea-tree stained moat.
islandhut.jpg

We decided to take the cool hostel up on free didgeridoo lessons. That’s the cool sounding aboriginal wood instrument made by termites hollowing out the insides of tree limbs. By the end of two hours Marcus was making some cool sounds. Maybe it was good karma from the funky aboriginal-made didj he got to use.
mcr_didj.jpg

The students sounded so good (or bad) that a couple of water dragons (big lizards that swim) came by to check out what was going on.
waterdragondidj.jpg

We went for a hike to Cape Byron and the lighthouse. It had a huge fresnel lens that was stunningly beautiful.
capebyron.jpg

On the way back Marcus was knocking on trees to see if they had been hollowed out and would make good didjs. This only lasted until he startled a huge kangaroo which scared the kapok out of him.



Tags:

7 Responses to “Days 47-48: Didgeridoo”

  1. JTR Says:

    Dad, would you like to handle the didgeridoo lessons picture, or should I?

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Ol' Swell Dad Says:

    Sadly, he does seem to be a natural at it and seems to be enjoyin’ it just a little too much…

    [Keep the tales comin’ M&K]

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Mom Says:

    Never mind what your dad and brother have to say – typical!
    Looks really cool to me…. Not a good idea, however, Marc to go around scaring the roos, they can do some serious damage to your person!

    Today is arbitration day – should be interesting!

    Hugs xoxox

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Kel's Bro-Michael Says:

    Only Kel n Marcus can comment on how stunningly beautify a frensel lens can be…

    I share the sentiments about the Did-ja-do pic…a natural.

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. JTR Says:

    Note the guy laughing at Marc’s attempt to “blow” the didgeridoo…

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. grandpa Runyan Says:

    Marc, What the hell were you thinking, fooling around with that didadegoo thing?

  12. Posted from United States United States
  13. Marcus Says:

    You mean to tell me the instructor had meant something else when he invited me to a private lesson?

  14. Posted from Australia Australia