BootsnAll Travel Network



Days 3-4: Mt. Cook and environs

A few days ago we visited the Moeraki boulders just south of Oamaru. These were huge spherical rocks lying in the surf and looked pretty surreal. (Unfortunately, there is a ban on uploading pictures in these parts.) Note to JPLers: they looked like large versions of Opportunity’s “blueberries.”

We spent a full day at Mt. Cook National Park – stunningly beautiful! We hiked the Hooker Valley to the Hooker Lake and Glacier and we’re surprised at how dirty the glaciers are. The rivers and lakes were a milky grey/blue from the “flour” formed from pulverized rock.

We had a gorgeous drive down to Te Anau today, past the Remarkables (cool mountains – which were!).

So far only one sheep road closure.



Tags:

2 Responses to “Days 3-4: Mt. Cook and environs”

  1. Lynn Says:

    Good to hear from you before we take off to Scotland tomorrow! Sounds like you are seeing some fantastic sights already – that’s wonderful. We’ll try to check the site at some cyber cafe in the UK.

    My 6th. graders want the blog site address – they are totally in awe of your travel plans….

    Hugs to you both, Mom xoxox

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Michael Loh Says:

    The glacier water isn’t actually dirty and it’s drinkable (and tastes quite good might I add). We seen a lot of this in patagonia.

    Incidentally, the coffee in Argentina is incredible.

    Cafe con leche. Don’t forget it.

  4. Posted from United States United States