BootsnAll Travel Network



Days 120-122: Bromo Volcano

We spent the last Malaysian Ringgit we had on a copy of The Economist and a caramel macchiato at the airport (you’ve gotta have priorities) and flew to Surabaya on the NE coast of the island of Java, Indonesia. We got out of the chaos that is Surabaya as fast as we could, but not before noting that Pizza Hut is the most popular restaurant in town on a Saturday night. We headed straight to picturesque volcano country.

The steaming, gnarled Bromo volcano (foreground, left) sits within a much larger ancient crater – who’s caldera is called the Sand Sea – along with the stately cone of the Batok volcano (foreground, right).

prettybromo.jpg

We swear it’s not a movie backdrop. You’ll notice the occastionally-ash-belching Semeru volcano in the background spewing a smoke cloud skyward. The place was really spectacular in the morning. We woke up very early to get up the mountain viewpoint before dawn, and even managed a decent night’s sleep with a rodent trying to eat it’s way through a bamboo wall.

Later in the day we hiked across the Sand Sea to the Bromo crater to take a peak inside. Huge clouds of steam poured out and the place had a really strong sulphur smell to it.

bromo_vent.jpg

Some locals sold bunches of flowers that you were supposed to toss into the steaming hole. Guess that beats throwing in your first born (or something like that as the legend has it).

A local shop selling first-born replacements.
bromo_shop.jpg

The entire Cemoro Lewang area (where the hotels are located at the edge of the caldera) is covered with small farms growning onions, cabbage, and corn.

bromo_farm.jpg

Colorfully dressed locals. Hey! That lady isn’t buying a bunch of flowers.
bromo_locals.JPG

Marcus has always wondered what happened to the 80’s band Megadeth. It seems appropriate that they’ve started touring for one of the largest cigarette manufactures in Indonesia.
megadeth.jpg



Tags:

7 Responses to “Days 120-122: Bromo Volcano”

  1. Mom Says:

    Just curious as to what the temp is over there, we’re onday 5 ove well over 100+ – not fun!

    So what did you throw into the crater? Glad it wasn’t my first born!!!

    Good map – thank you:)

    Hugs, Mom xoxoxo

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Ol' Swell Dad Says:

    Ya just hadta throw in the Megadeth crack… 😉

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. JTR Says:

    Nice pics Wally. Dave Mustane was simply underappreciated in the states…

    Also, when did Mom learn pig-Latin: “we’re onday 5 ove well over 100+ – not fun!” What?????

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Mom Says:

    Okay JT – it was the heat, give me a break! Unmistakeably I said “we’re on day 5 of well over 100+….” Actually we are now on day 7 and no break in sight.

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. Marcus Says:

    My family is kindly requested to send spelling and grammar comments/corrections by email.

  10. Posted from Indonesia Indonesia
  11. Dan Says:

    Speaking of spelling, I thought it was “Megadeath”

  12. Posted from United States United States
  13. Marcus Says:

    Kelly’s family is also requested…. 🙂

    You can’t be a real heavy metal rocker and know how to spell!

  14. Posted from Indonesia Indonesia