BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 6: Milford Sound

It was an early start to the day when the hungry kea approached Kelly. He was after her tender toes, we think. The kea is known for eating the molding off automobiles and other odd things with its sharp beak. Since he was the size of a full-grown chicken, she beat a hasty retreat. She snapped this image of the vicious beast as she ran away.

kea.jpg

We spent most of the day on the water of the Milford Sound (which we learned is actually a fjord) in a two-person sea kayak. Neither of us knew how to eskimo roll, so we were relieved to find out you can escape an upturned kayak by taking off your skirt. It was an amazingly beautiful day – especially for a place that gets more than 6 meters of rain a year. It was so nice, that even the kayak guide was taking pictures.

milford1.jpg

We tried to take a few of the trade-marc (sic) self portraits, which were easier said than done.

km_kayak.jpg
Kelly and Marcus and Bowen Falls.

m_kayak.jpg
Marcus and some cool morning clouds in the fjord.



Tags:

4 Responses to “Day 6: Milford Sound”

  1. Dad Says:

    Somehow I always knew that you’d start wearin’ a skirt…

    [Keep ’em comin’…]

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. bill Says:

    you bastard. get your butt back to work!

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Mark Says:

    Cool pictures!

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Grandma Peggy Says:

    You were very lucky to have such good weather for your visit to Milford> It rained like mad the whole time we were there! It is a lovely place and I think going in a kyack would be great fun!
    Love to you bpth Grandma Peggy

  8. Posted from United States United States