BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 46: Here There Be Dragons

We came to Surfers Paradise and immediately left the beach. We headed to Lamington National Park which is on the World Heritage list. And, no, it is not named after the spongy teacakes – it is named after a former Queensland governor who came to the park just after it was founded to sportingly shoot koalas.

We did a hike to a really nice waterfall. Can’t remember the name of it, but it was a nice place for lunch.
elaunga.jpg

Lots of really cool trees in the rainforest. This is the view from the inside of a strangler fig after the host tree decayed away.
inside_fig.jpg

There were lots of critters in the forest and we got pics of a few of them.

The red-necked pademelon is like a mini kangaroo. It had a large kid that kept trying to climb into the pouch but had obviously outgrown it.
pademelon.jpg

We found this one really cool. It is a southern angle-headed dragon that has a lichen-colored skin that changes color.
dragon.jpg

We’re still not sure what this was. It was about the size of Kelly’s forearm. UPDATE: This is a “land mullet” which is a large member of the skink family. Business in the front, a party in the back.
liz_sal.jpg

Saw lots of beautiful birds. This guy is called a king parrot.
kingparrot.jpg

The crimson rosellas were way too tame.
mcr_rosella.jpg

Why did the turkey….. ah, nevermind.
crosstheroad.jpg

That’s it for now. We’re so hungry we could take a bite out of the arse of a low-flying duck. [Gotta love Aussie expressions]



Tags:

2 Responses to “Day 46: Here There Be Dragons”

  1. Mom Says:

    How totally awesome…. The kids are going to love these (got the Internet back yesterday and the first thing they wanted was to see the latest blog pictures!)

    Interview tonight – wish me luck!

    These pictures are just too cool for words – do the koalas remind you of Jerabek Marc?

    Hugs xoxo

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. JTR Says:

    Kel:
    Nice job capturing the gaze of wonder as Marc realizes that the crimson rosella just took a dump in his hand…

  4. Posted from United States United States