BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 35: No More Barriers to the Reef

We got to happening Airlie Beach (that’s code for it’s full of party goers and we’re getting old). The weather report was ok at 15-20 knots and a new front was moving in so this was our chance. We booked a boat to the pontoon moored at Hardy Reef (in the Southern Great Barrier Reef).

On the boat ride out Kelly was lauding the inventor of the seasickness patch while watching the guy with the worst job in the world. His duty was to hold the vomit sack and utter reassurances to the many losing their breakfast (and last nights dinner for some).

Once we got to our area – a channel between two reefs – the waters were nice and calm. Visibility was pretty good too. Upon arriving at the pontoon we boarded a semi-submersible which was just like the ride at Disneyland. Then we were off in the water snorkelling.

Hardy Reef with a few snorkellers.
hardyreef.jpg

Colorful coral of all different shapes and sizes – with the blues and purples showing off nicely. There was a huge variety of fish, though the parrot fish were probably the most common. Fish sizes varied greatly from the size of a thumbnail up to a meter. The most memorable fish was no bigger than Kelly’s palm – it would swim very fast straight up to Kelly’s goggles – almost playing chicken.

The coolest thing we saw were the gigantic clams – you could have parked the car we rented the other day in them. The colors were amazing – they varied from lepord print, to mint chip, to black and cobalt blue. It was very good snorkelling.

The boat tooks us through the Whitsunday islands both times – so a little extra cruise to boot. Even though we’re running out of reef and the weather is going to take a turn for worse we hope to do more snorkelling.

Us at the reef – not a good hair day.
km_reef.jpg



Tags:

3 Responses to “Day 35: No More Barriers to the Reef”

  1. Mom Says:

    Glad the weather cooperated for you! Kel’s new “do” just goes to show that she’s having fun! Glad to hear that the patch works for sea sickness…. You both look like you’re building nice tans, in spite of the hats 🙂

    Hugs xoxox

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. pete mao Says:

    do the clams eat people, like they do in the cartoons?

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Marcus Says:

    More than one of those clams tried to eat me. And they were big enough to have done it.

  6. Posted from Australia Australia