BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 25: Dreams Do Come True

We drove through a good fraction of the North Island (stopping for the Tongariro Crossing, Waitamo Caving, and Goat Island snorkelling) in order to reach the Bay of Islands. Since Kaikora (dolphin central on the South Island) had been completely booked through our journey – we booked a dolphin swimming cruise with Dolphin Discoveries in the Bay of Islands.

They warned us that they guarantee seeing a dolpin or whale or you can ride again for free. They did not guarantee swimming. They also reminded us that NZ law forbids swimming with juvenile dolphins (less than 2 years old) for many good reasons including their high mortality rate.

So we jumped abourd the boat – which can handle 60 customers – at 8am with 10 other aspiring dolphin swimmers and two driver/dolphin spotter/guides. We then started cruising the Bay of Islands with all eyes trained on the water looking for signs of dolphins. The bay has 144 islands, so the dolphins could be anywhere.

Bay of Islands.
bayofislands.jpg

After about 1.5 hours of a scenic cruise we came upon a scene of very playful bottlenosed dolphins. It was a pod of mums and babies, so we weren’t allowed to swim with them but they were fun to watch.

Mum and baby dolphin.
mum_baby.jpg

Marcus even caught a photo of one of the mums jumping.
jumper.jpg

Here’s a picture of the research boat and a few more dolphins.
dolphins3.jpg

We watched them for a bit then the driver came down and said other vessles had spotted a travelling group with no juveniles in it – so we could legally swim with them (though they were not stopped).

We left the mums and babies and went for the travelling pod. We received the briefing too: 1) you must SWIM with the dolphins – this isn’t just jump in the water and look – they’ll think you’re boring and move on; 2) no touching the dolpins; 3) make noise to keep them interested; 4) dive with them, play around, do anything (even swim in circles) and keep your head down.

We were issued masks, snorkels and fins (glad I had perscription googles), and were prepared to go. At the drop everyone got in as fast as possible and swam in the direction we had last seen the dolphins. Try and imagine a dozen people swimming in circles making noises – we must have been a funny sight. Unfortunately, the bottlenose dolphins did a deep dive so we missed them. They can stay under for 15 minutes. We reboarded and drove a bit and caught them again.

This time I was first off the boat and I swam as hard as I could and managed to catch/intercept the path of two. I swam along side for a couple of strokes before they left me in the dust. They were huge, beautiful, and definitely watching every movement I made. They could effortlessly out swim my fastest stroke.

Some more dolphins appeared across the group, and while I was sucking in air, I was able to watch Marcus swim across to them. He swam past everyone else, like they were standing still (well, most were actually). He caught them for a good while. One of the males seemed excited to see Marcus (if you know what I mean). Marcus later said that all of the triathlon training was actually worth something. Marcus made spiraling motions and one of the dolphins swam upside down for a bit (no, it wasn’t the excited male).

Soon they were gone again so we reboarded. Drop #3 came and Marcus was first off the boat (in fact, we lost about 1/3 of the group at this point due to exhaustion). Marcus caught right up to them and swam with them again until they dove deep. I was nearly last off, and still recovering from my first encounter and thus was slow to catch the group. I lifted my head to sight where they were and heard the guide aboard the ship yell “back here.” I turned around and they were between the boat and me. I swam in and caught up to one just as he started to dive. I dove next to him. He was gorgeous, huge, and he seemed to be less than my body length away, and he was watching me. Of course, he went faster and farther down, and I all too soon had to return to the surface for air. He came up too, and did a jump. It was awesome!

It was an absolutely amazing day and very exhausting too. We were too busy experiencing to take any photos. A long time coming and worth every cent, kilometer, and calorie.



Tags:

6 Responses to “Day 25: Dreams Do Come True”

  1. Mom Says:

    WOW! How awesome for you both – knew those swimming lessons you had as a toddler would pay off someday Marc!!!

    Great to talk to you tonight – thank you SO much for the call…

    Many hugs xoxoxo

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. ZCooke/Mom Says:

    “Cool Beans!”

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Beryl Stotts Says:

    Hi I am enjoying your pictues and comments. Sounds like you are doing well and having wonderful time..

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Mom Says:

    Looks like GmP figured out how to do the comment thing 🙂

    Hopefully Australia will have many more fantastic adventures in store for you!

    Hugs xoxox

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. JTR Says:

    Uncle Fatboy:

    Don’t think that because of this we are going to be adding a “dolphin lap dance” event to the Runyan Boys Decathalon…this gives ooooooowa oooooowa a whole new meaning.

    JR

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. grandpa Runyan Says:

    Hi Kids I have been looking at your adventures but did not know how to respond. Keep those cards and letters coming as your trip sounds and looks wonderful. grandpa

  12. Posted from United States United States