BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 2: All dressed up with somewhere to go

After touring Christchurch’s Botanical Gardens we headed south to Oamaru on the East coast of the south island. We spent a few hours watching yellow-eyed and blue penguins returning from the sea.

The penguins spent most of the time cleaning themselves and re-waterproofing their feathers. It was fun to watch them surf to shore, waddle up the side, dry off, then cross the road (literally) to their nesting sites. How would you like
this making a nest under your house? (sound file)

They’ve got a webcam set up in one of the blue penguin nests.
http://www.penguins.co.nz/webcams/index.html

penguinxing.JPG

It was great fun watching the rare yellow-eyed penguins ignoring the fur seals lying near by (as far as we’ve read – seals eat penguins).

We drove a few hundred kilometres and haven’t crashed yet.

marcus_drive.JPG

We’ve been enjoying reading all your comments!



Tags:

5 Responses to “Day 2: All dressed up with somewhere to go”

  1. Dan Says:

    Hi,
    We are now regular Blog readers, thanks. It makes us feel so cool. If you visit all those countries, even at 2 years you will only be able to spend a week in each (disregard the math).
    Dad

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Leticia Says:

    Kelly,

    Heck, we off to Signapore today, we will be there for 3 days then off to Bali, Indonesia. I hope to bump into you guys next year in Egypt. Hey if you make it to Costa Rica checkout Montezuma. There is a little bakery there that is very good, just ignore the Women who makes the food there she does not shave her arm pits and it is pretty long. However the Hostel there was great!

    Leticia & Gene

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Lynn Says:

    Glad to hear that you have the left hand driving down to a fine science! That was a good reminder that Nita and I will need to look LEFT before crossing the streets in the UK! Stay safe and have a wonderful time – loved the penguin crossing sign!

    Hugs, Mom xoxoxo

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Lynn Says:

    PS I can actually open the BLOG up at home – whatever you did, Marc, it worked! Thanks 🙂

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. Andrew Says:

    Just looked through all your pictures for the first time. I am so jealous. The pics of you kayaking and hangliding are amazing. I am going to Hawaii next month with Toni, hopefully I will have some similar Pics.

    How’s the beer in New Zealand? I hear it’s better the higher altitude you are. You guys can do a study. Let me know how it goes.

    Drew

  10. Posted from United States United States