BootsnAll Travel Network



Rome (or Roma)

I suppose to most non-Italians, Rome is the essence of Italy – you cannot have seen Italy if you have not seen Rome. Some Italians would no doubt disagree, but we have just spent two days exploring the centre of Rome – and it would have to be one of the highlights of our world-wide wanderings.

Ever since we left the raining UK, we have been bathed in brilliant sunshine, an arch of intense blue sky ever-overhead, and with temperatures gradually climbing as we drove down through France and on into Italy.

Hot? This is hotter than the Malaysia that we lived in for a few years. This is a dry,dry heat that leaves little trace of perspiration on your body – it’s evaporated as soon as produced. Australians know all about this sort of heat – I last experienced it in Broom, on the North-western tip of Oz.

So it has been a blessing that Rome is so generously-endowed with countless fountains  – both the large decorative sort

and the ubiquitous drinking ones.

 

 The water flows endlessly, in gushing gallons and in sweet, small spurts. And the water is  satisfyingly sweet and deliciously cool. In such an arid setting, it seems almost unbelievable that water should apparently be allowed to gush on in such a wasteful manner, but I have learned that this is not so.

http://www.wantedinrome.com/articles/complete_articles.php?id_art=657

will give you an interesting insight into Rome’s abundant water supply. (not a long article but very interesting)

And so we have found the long days walking in the heat just bearable. And what have we seen? Well my previous entry showed something of our first day’s wanderings – and I will have to borrow pics from the Leaders because, being an Old Dodderer, I forgot to take my camera!

Suffice to say  here that we found some impressive fountains, incredible Domes

and then went across to St.Peters Square to be quite overwhelmed by the whole Vatican presence

Tags: , , ,



Leave a Reply